Why don't people make DIY lumenbrights?

mark0933

I've seen plans for DIY lumenarcs, and a fair number of "look at my DIY lumenarcs" threads, but no (or very few) DIY lumenbrights - I finally broke down and bought a new one on boxing day after waiting a very long time to see one for sale in the used equipment forum, and after seeing one, my question is simple:

Why aren't people DIYing them???

Mark

if I am correct, lumenbrights *require* highly reflective material due to the distance from the water. Since that stuff (miro?) is expensive and difficult to locate, most people don't bother.

a few have made them but they require alot of cuting and welding and frankly alot of time and machinery that most don't have axcess to.

OK, cutting definately see that, and bending, and the reflector material should be the same highly polished material that HD sells for those skylight tubes, right.

There is no welding on my lumenbright...just cut and bend and rivet.

Mark

There not that hard to do I have made one wasnt hard nor did I need more than hand tools and a rivet gun ..

x2. I just got done making 3 Lumenarc Mini style reflectors, the reason why I went with them is because of clearence reasons....

Also, Nobody really posted the plans on making the lumenbrights although I have seen in the DIY lumenarc thread that someone has made them and they look fantastic, I dont recall if it was Disco or not.

And, the miro-4 which I used was $55 for a 24" x 48" piece which easily gave me 2 reflectors. Alot cheaper than the real things.
All I used was pair of tin snips and a pop rivet tool.
then the cost was $12 ea. for a mogul base socket from my electrical store.

www.naturallighting.com has the material, if anybody is looking.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14153251#post14153251 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DiscoReefRover
There not that hard to do I have made one wasnt hard nor did I need more than hand tools and a rivet gun ..

That is why I was curious why they have not been as popular with the DIY crowd...

I thought I was missing something :)

Mark

they are popular IMO I personally dont make them exactly like everyone else mine dont have hard line bends I let the Alloy Bend in a gentle curve so it ends up like a smooth bowl type reflector with 8 sides and i make them out of 9 pieces of alloy unlike the 5 pieces most use .

I made 3 of them last week. it is a little time consuming but well worth is. I bought of the ODL solar extension tubes from Home Depot. I bought 3 extensions at $25 a piece. I also picked up a 2"x48" piece of aluminum to hold the socket and bulb. Over all the 3 reflectors came out to about $90 plus the hours invested.

Back