Why I never make it to club meetings, RAP etc

dodgerblew

Team RC
As a lot of you know, I have a hard time participating in reef related functions due to a busy family schedule; most notably my high school age son (Travis) who is very involved in pursuing a baseball career through college and/or the major leagues. I am almost always spending one or both weekend days hauling him somewhere to play ball for his high school, scoutball, USA or Connie Mack teams depending on the time of year. I have missed every SFVR club meeting due to this. I have missed two years of RAP, CFM etc because of our family support for our son's dream. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. We love it no matter how tired I/we are either mentally, physically or both. Today, however is why this is so worthwhile. In my email inbox today was this:

Dear Travis,

Stanford University Baseball Program is truly honored to have the privilege
of recruiting you! Since you are in your junior year of high school and
this is our initial contact with you, we would like to learn more about you.
We have set up an online form that will help us gather this information. Our
form is called the STANFORD BASEBALL PROSPECT INFORMATION FORM. It can be
found at this web address:

Travis, I cannot emphasize enough the magnitude and the effect your college
decision will have on the rest of your life! It is a decision in which you
should take the time to examine from many different points of view. This is
not a four-year decision, but a forty-year decision! There will be no
"mulligan¹s" (do-over¹s for you non golfers) in this college decision.
Travis, we feel that Stanford University offers an unparalleled combination
of academics and baseball success. Simply stated, Stanford University will
offer you the following.

1) A COMPETITIVE ACADEMIC ENVIRONMENT. In the August 2011 issue of US News
and World Report, Stanford University was the 5th highest rated
undergraduate university in the nation! Over the last 12 years Stanford
Baseball has had a graduation success rate of 100%!

2) INCREDIBLE BASEBALL SUCCESS. Stanford Baseball has advanced to the NCAA
baseball playoffs 28 of the last 32 years. In those 32 years we have
advanced to the College World Series an incredible 14 times, reached the
National Title game five times, and have two National Titles to our credit.
Mark Marquess is 7th winningest coach in NCAA history (he is 4th among
active coaches) with 1463 wins, and all of them coming as the head coach at
Stanford University.

3) FABULOUS PLAYER DEVELOPMENT. In the last sixteen years, players out of
Stanford University have signed professional baseball contracts for bonuses
totaling over 44 MILLION dollars. Stanford has developed 24 first round
draft picks in the last 25 years. 87 former Stanford Baseball players have
played in the major leagues. This year, 9 of our former Stanford players
are playing in Major League Baseball. Coach Marquess has personally coached
and developed 55 of those 87 players that have gone on to play in the major
leagues. Perhaps most incredible is that 46 of the 55 Major Leaguers under
Coach Marquess have earned their degree from Stanford University.

4) PREMIER BASEBALL FACILITIES. Stanford's playing surface is natural
grass. In 2001, Stanford University completed a 2.3 million dollar stadium
renovation. In the summer of 2007, we completed a one million dollar
renovation of our batting cage area! The cost of just the netting for our
super structure was $103,000. Stanford has always been recognized as having
one of the premium baseball facilities in the country, and now we have made
it even better! We are in the midst of raising money to remodel our current
clubhouse. We are very confident that in the near future we will have a
totally new clubhouse.

5) PREMIUM LOCATION. Stanford University is located in Palo Alto, CA--30
miles south of San Francisco and 20 miles north of San Jose. Our climate is
tremendous for baseball. Traditionally, we receive about 14 inches of
annual rainfall, and no snow. Our average high temperature is above 60
degrees in all months except December (average high 59 degrees) and January
(average high 58 degrees).

Travis, if any of the above information has motivated you to learn more
about Stanford University and our fabulous baseball program, please go
³right now² to the information web site listed above. Please fill out the
form to the best of your ability (not all the questions will apply to you).
When you have finished, simply hit the ³done² button. Once you click the
done button, we will be able to access your information and begin our
communications. I hope to hear from you soon and I am extremely excited to
learn more about you!

Go Cardinal!

Stanford has my boy on their radar!! and I couldn't be a more proud dad! Just wanted to share

Rick. First of all it's all good. We all consider you a urban legend of your own-). If I recall correctly you did make it to my home a few years back at one of my parties. I know I met you in person somewhere.

Regarding your son. Congratulations I am glad to hear about his progress. You should be a very proud father and I hope your son appreciates that. I hope your son gets a great education and career in his future. May he end up as a SF Giant-). So he can squeeze me I to a few games. So what you are sacrificing a few beers with those that you chat with.. That can be done later. Spending time with your family and children is one of the best investments one can ever do. Thanks for sharing your pride and joy.

He's the one who is working hard both on the field and in the classroom. He's a very good young man. Thanks Johnny. He's a Trojan through and through but he wouldn't mind being a Bruin (cough/gag)

Rick. First of all it's all good. We all consider you a urban legend of your own-). If I recall correctly you did make it to my home a few years back at one of my parties. I know I met you in person somewhere.

Regarding your son. Congratulations I am glad to hear about his progress. You should be a very proud father and I hope your son appreciates that. I hope your son gets a great education and career in his future. May he end up as a SF Giant-). So he can squeeze me I to a few games. So what you are sacrificing a few beers with those that you chat with.. That can be done later. Spending time with your family and children is one of the best investments one can ever do. Thanks for sharing your pride and joy.
Richard, last time you and I met up was RAP 3 yrs ago and when we were both selling at MASVC swap 4 yrs ago at Taam warehouse. I didn't make it out to your party for some reason although I had planned on going. We've actually spoken quite a few times. As for the other, a Giant....really!! We are Dodgers!!! And in all seriousness, you are right Richard. I have sacrificed some "me" time to love and enjoy my kids and that's time that can never be replaced. Thanks for the response Richard.

I know that Lawrence. I saw you post that somewhere not to long ago. He's far off from ever being there, but who knows. Sorry we missed each other Saturday. I really wanted to see those fish. Thanks to both you and Justin.

Congrads Rick, Did your son use Perry Husband ??
How do you know Perry?

He's a longtime friend of mine and he and I actually coached a travel team of mine together back in the 90's with my oldest son. He knows my son but hasn't worked with him as he did my other boy. I actually have a very funny Travis/Perry story from when my son was 10 and was in need of an attitude adjustment and I utilized Perry to tweak it for me. Perry is top of the line instructor and a heckuva player himself

Wow congrats to your whole family!
I know how hard that is, I have a 13 year old that's been playing since t-ball and although my son will probably never even make a college team I am still so proud of my sons desire to play so I can only imagine the pride and happiness you must be feeling right now..... Congrats again buddy.....

Ohhh BTW go BLUE!

Congrats Rik. My wife wants me to sell all the fish tanks and focus on helping my son with his home work and help her clean the house. I got to block your posts from now on

Awesome email and I would be a proud proud Dad if I ever have the pleasure of opening a email like you recieved today. Congratulations! I know the sacrifice to a smaller extent as my Daughter is 13 years old and a Goalie on two U15 club teams. She practices 5 days a week and we have averaged 3 games per weekend for the last 3 months. We have a little break as Junior High athletics has started up for the next few months and she has a reduced schedule. Her mother handles her practice schedule, but I try to make all of her games, got lucky she only had 2 games the weekend of RAP:) My daughter's schedule definately contributes to my forever 400 gallon build, but I am so proud watching her play. She can crush the ball and has several Goal assist from clearing the ball this season as a Keeper. Good luck Travis and your hard work will pay off with a fantastic education! Rik thank you for sharing!

Scott, Thanks. We have been down that road with two kids too! Travis was also a keeper and started in goal as a freshmen on his varsity soccer team but gave it up to concentrate solely on baseball. What clubs is your daughter on? We spent time with Samba (now they are or were called Real SoCal) and our club up here locally. I love soccer and miss those tourney weekends.

Last edited:
Back