Why should I/should I not go with a skimmer with a DC pump

MJT82

I'm looking going with a Reef Octopus 8" Regal 200INT on my next build... I've never owned a skimmer with a DC pump, however, and I'm curious as to what the pros/cons are. Anyone have any input? Thanks in advance.

I just ordered a RO Regal 170INT for my new 120G build. It will be a FOWLR. I already have a Regal 200INT on my 120G reef. The DC pumps with the 5 stages of power allows me to tune in the skimmer better starting with a small load in the beginning and building up to a full load in the future. Another plus is less of a risk of electrocution with the DC power.

I just ordered a RO Regal 170INT for my new 120G build. It will be a FOWLR. I already have a Regal 200INT on my 120G reef. The DC pumps with the 5 stages of power allows me to tune in the skimmer better starting with a small load in the beginning and building up to a full load in the future. Another plus is less of a risk of electrocution with the DC power.

I agree and would add that I like the slow start feature of the DC pump so if your sump level is high due to the power outage or something it won't start overflowing..the return pump has a small period of time to drop the level before the skimmer pump is at full song.

I have the DCS 150 that I used the output gate valve and the pump speed to dial in exactly the skim I wanted for the water height I have.

You do have to keep the pump clean though, I have had them gradually slow down due to calcium buildup in the bushing that the impeller sits in and even had one not start after turning it off. Run every couple months in vinegar cleans right up.

My biggest reservation about the RO Regal is that the controller is not water proof and can't be kept in high humidity area like in the cabinet. All of my equipment and sump are in the cabinet, so it doesn't work for my setup. The other factor is multiple points of failure, but high quality equipment could mitigate this.

My biggest reservation about the RO Regal is that the controller is not water proof and can't be kept in high humidity area like in the cabinet. All of my equipment and sump are in the cabinet, so it doesn't work for my setup. The other factor is multiple points of failure, but high quality equipment could mitigate this.

Where does it say that? I would not submerge the controller, but it is fine to put it in the cabinet. Mine has been there over a year.

Where does it say that? I would not submerge the controller, but it is fine to put it in the cabinet. Mine has been there over a year.

I can't remember where this piece of info was posted. You can ask Jeremy in RO forum. He can confirm or refute.

I've had my regal controller in my stand since I got it no issues. Dc pump skimmers are pretty awesome

Not to hijack, but what advantages are there?

Does it just give the user more options in dialing in the skimmer?

-
IMHO, the biggest advantage, by far, is that you can tune the skimmer to the tank and the
bio load you have. If you buy a standard skimmer, you are in wysiwyg postiton, with no
option for change.
-

I have the RO Regal DC 170SSS. Some of the pros are that it gives you the controllability over the level of skimming. Plus....I like the fish feed button on mine.

Another big plus is that when i do a water change, I just turn down the level of skimming one notch as to not overflow my skimmer right away. After a few hours...I just hit the UP button and resume my original settings. I can do that all from the external interface with the click of a button, as opposed to opening up my cabinet and manually adjust the gate valve.

Another plus....I run oversized my skimmer, so that way when I upgrade to a larger tank, I don't have to buy another skimmer. The controllability gives me the freedom to do this.

Cons.....none as of yet. I love my Skimmer.

Thanks everyone.

I was starting to look at the Regal 150... but it still might be too much of a skimmer for my tank. 60g cube, 18g sump, SPS, 5 fish atm.

I'm building a 225, so I'm thinking the RO Regal 200INT. I've been very pleased with the RO I have on my current setup.

Back