Why so few pairings and harems?

I do not keep pairs mainly due to space. I have a 60 gallon reef with limited space for fish.......unfortunately I like a lot of different species so rather than have 4 of 1 fish, I prefer to have 4 different fish. Now if I had a 100 gallon+, things would be different :)

Yep, but even with a 100 gallon tank you'll probably run into the same issue... I think with a 550 gallon tank I'd be able to do some pairs/harems :)

I like having maybe one pair and or one shoal, but I want more variety in my tiny little piece of ocean.
I'd much rather have 20 different fish than 3-5 pairs and shoals.

I like seeing pairs or small groups , I currently have a pair of green mandarin, lineatus, saddle back clowns, 7 blue eyed cardinals.
I do have a yellow and a kole tang in with these too

A few years ago before I moved I had bonded pairs of scooter dragonets, clowns, neon gobies, and cardinal fish. Very enjoyable to watch them each interact with their counterpart, especially the scooters every night. I'm trying to do the same thing with my 75 now, but like some have said its difficult to find a bonded pair that tolerate each other. I bought a bonded pair of smith blennys on divers den and they hate each other.

In my 100 gal I have a pair of clowns, pair of basslets, pair of filefish and a couple if anthias. I want to add a few more anthias. I tried the chromis thing but didn't work out. Started with three purple chromic now down to one, also tried 3 blue green and down to 2 and they fight incessantly so I may evict them myself in favor of more anthias. Also have a shrimp goby pair, but not sure if that counts, LOL,

Interesting for sure. One of the most awesome sights diving is a pair of serving platter sized grey or French Angels swimming side by side. Or butterflies. Maybe if I get a single family house next move I'll reinforce the floor and put a 10' x 3' x 3' in and do an awesome Fowlr.

Be careful with trying to pair up your fish. After I was lucky enough to pair up two flame angels by using an adult and a very small one I thought I could do it with anything including Red Sea Regal Angels, not so easy. It has been two years and although the larger one doesn't shred her anymore I still do not have a spawning pair after all. They are in a 300 with a ton of rock and corals for a quick get away for the smaller one. I am still hope full, and I don't want to discourage anyone but just be careful (Sorry about the poor pictures Iphone 4) the 1st was from 2013, the 2nd and 3rd was from yesterday

Attachments

• regals 1-22-15.jpg
    regals 1-22-15.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
Back