why the microbubbles?

everl0ng

ok, so i have a 20H with a 20H sump. my sump has 3 baffles. the overflow drains into the first big compartment that is filled with LR, Sand, and my CSS 65 skimmer. then there are 3 baffles and then my last compartment has my return pump. i am still getting microbubbles (very very fine bubbles) in my tank. i ordered a maxijet because my AC powerheads collected all the microbubbles and then every few minutes spat them all out and my tank was filled with them. i can't figure out what the heck to do to get rid of these. the overflow pvc pipe ends UNDER the water in my sump. should i cut it so that it is out of the water? that would be super noisy though. i am stuck on what to do?

Having the pipe empty over the water would dissapate the air out of the pipe before it could create bubbles. But are you sure this is where they're comming from?

What are you using for a return pump and how is it plumbed? Have you tried reducing the return flow to see if that reduces the bubbles?

it's a rio 1700 going up through vinyl tubing with a few 90 degree elbows creating a u-tube return.

Is the suction of the pump restricted in any way like a sponge or anything? How long has this been set up? Its common for new systems to have bubbles in the beginning until things become seasoned.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9226140#post9226140 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GobyJohnKenobi
Any leaks in the return plumbing?

Double check to make sure every joint is sealed properly.
Any salt creep around the joints?

This would be my first check to, could be sucking in some air.

I had micro bubbbles comming from my skimmer and they made it throuh all my baffles I put a filter sock on the return of the skimmer and it went away

Back