Why Wait On Adding New Mixed Water?

TMF89

Hey guys, I've seen before that people recommend waiting up to a day after mixing RO water with salt before adding it to your tank. Just wondering why that is?

you are supposed to use a pwr head to get aeration(saturate the water with oxygen) and it gives time for all of the elements of the salt to go into solution with the water. this one day window also gives you time to match your mix to your tank(sg temp ph etc)

The vast number of aquarist use it as soon as it clears up. Online people have made a big deal about waiting a period of time before using, but the advantage is slight- especially if one is doing a partial change.

When I fill the bucket with water, it's around 50F so my heater takes a few hours to warm up my water to 80F. So I get a bucket of water in the morning, pop a heater in there and then when I get home from school (usually 4:00) I pour the salt mix in their and use my hands to dissolve the salt. This will take me 15 min. Then pour bucket of water into tank. This works very well because my water is very warm and it can melt the salt faster.

I remember pet stores telling me to let the water sit out and also to treat with a variety of additives. If your TDS is at 0, then there is nothing to the water to "gas-off" over 24 hrs so there is no need to wait.

Mix it, match temp, and add it in.

I don't know all the arguments for and against but I have a couple Maxijet 1200's that I use to aerate fresh saltwater. I simply make up a couple buckets of water, aerate overnight, check salinity and adjust as necessary. One thing I do know is that if your salt hasn't completely dissolved before you test it you won't get a true salinity reading.

Mike

Aeration and Ph stabilization I'd guess is the reason. IME, you can use it an hour after mixing with IO or Reef Crystals, not sure on other brands. Heat and mix vigorously with a Powerhead to get good surface agitation. I add about half the salt while cold, then adjust SG slowly up as the water warms then typically use in 1-48 hrs.

Interesting. I just mix up a new batch right after a WC and let it sit for 2 weeks. It's always good to have some saltwater on hand, so if there is an emergency, I can add it.

Not sure about the caustic non-dissolved salt argument as I've never seen any convincing data on it. Maybe true, maybe not.

However, it's good to let it sit with a powerhead and heater, so things can stabilize to a steady state. Then you can add more salt or water as needed to hit your target.

my mixing usually involves the least amount of energy consumption. i have a small powerhead mixing the salt for the first two hours or so and then i turn to power head off.

i measure the salt and water exactly, so the SG is virtually always acurrate within tolerable numbers. i let it sit for about a day and then turn the powerhead on one hour before i do the water change.

i do not adjust the ph or temp of the water. the tank is usally a little more than room temperature. i do however slow drip the new mixed water into the sump. i guess you can say its a drip acclimation of water change. the temperature and ph change does not even measure on the apex when i do this.

i even did this in the past with a stick, no energy usage whatsoever, but got lazy.

I wait about 3-4 hours before using the new water.
Been doing it this way for more than 20 years.

I like to let it mix w/ powerhead a few days make extra sure salinity and temp are good.
if its unnecessary my wife will be happy there isn't a 32 gallon trash can in the bathroom every Sun-Tuesday:)

As long as you have a powerhead and it has time to mix. I give it at least 4 hours, but
Normally I have 20 gallons mixed and ready so I do not have to rush it.

Not to derail anything here but I'm courious...

It seems everyone is very concerned about getting the mixed water up to tank temp.

Is this to get the salt to dissolve to the proper salinity or a concern over shocking the tank with water that's too cold?

I ask because if you're doing, say, a 10% WC with water that's 10% colder than your DT at 80F you're looking at around a 3-4F temp drop that'll probably last about 2 minutes with a decent heater... turning off your lights will have more effect... though much slower

But, anyone thats done any diving knows you can be warm and toasty one minute and have a cold pocket roll in and feel a 10F drop for 20 minutes or more

I let mine sit for 2 reasons.. One I want it to mix well and get as close to the tank salinity as possibe.. second to get the temp right as well

Here is a question I've always pondered, but never checked. Does temp effect salinity readings in any way?

Not in the long run, but warmer water will desolve the salt faster then cold.
Ever try to add sugar to Ice cold Tea? Desolves faster in hot

I tend to mix a day or few ahead of when I plan to do a water change. Sometimes I use it pretty quick and sometimes it sits an extra day or so depending on when I get a chance to do it. Don't like to do it when the kids are up and I now work evenings! I usually have a Brute garbage can mixed w/saltwater, but haven't reset that up since we've moved. I also have one to hold just RO water. Nice to have all that water handy just in case...

i've added instantly mixed salt water to my tank before .. my corals shrank up and my mushrooms almost melted away .... i allways wait a day now with a power head n heater in it. i never had that happen again

Back