Why won't this open?

adamsky27

In Memoriam
I have had this for about 7 months now. I did have it in the middle of the tank, but it was in a spot that I could not see it. It used to fully open, and looked awesome. I then moved it out to where you could actually see it and it never opened again. I put it down on the sand about 2 months ago, and it still wont open. Any ideas why? What can I do to make it happy again?

DSCN0574.jpg

This is what it looks like right now. Looks exactly the same every day. Sometimes at night it puffs up a little bit, but it wont open like it used to.

Holy cow, that is a rainbow if I ever saw one. So what is the matter with it? Seriously.

It used to open, and when it is open it is like double the size that it is. It's all "sucked in" right now, and has been for months.

Maybe it wants more shade? was it shaded before ( when you could not see it )? try putting in under an overhang or in a cave and see if it responds.

Of course if its bothering you too badly, you could just sell it to me and I will nurse it back to health!!!! ( JK)

No it wasn't in the shade, it was right under the light, but it was toward the back of the tank to where you could not see it. It still looks cool, but it is supposed to be open, and looks way better when it does. Maybe I'll put it in the shade and see what happens.

They tend to open up more when they are reaching for more lights. Maybe it's getting more lights now and it has no need to "puff" up to get more lights.

Has the water flow changed from where you had it before?My mother in law has one and it loves lots of water flow.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8107580#post8107580 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SVXH6
have you tried feeding it at all??

That would be my first question also....After a good feeding mine are always big and fluffy for the next couple of days...these corals really do enjoy a good meal.

I have spot fed it with some frozen cyclopeeze. It is just weird because it used to open, but now it wont. It is not because of the zoos, they just got knocked down there recently.

I have 3 in my tank (not nearly as nice as that one). They get nice and fluffy after I feed them mysis. I'd love to know where you got that one also.

We can try an experiment! send it to me and i will see how well it opens up frag it and send the frag back to you.

I would try feeding piscine energetics mysis shrimp.

Chad

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8115563#post8115563 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chads29

I would try feeding piscine energetics mysis shrimp.

Chad

ditto...a lot more energy in the mysis...

This is going to sound odd but the two things I would check are your salinity and your temp. My brains get like that when the salinity or temp creep up. They have a range they prefer and if it goes outside they just don't react as happily.

Good Luck
Ariel

Back