Why?????

jbryant

why is it that someone can make a post that says look at my pretty rock or what is this nem they get 5000 views and 100 post. But when someone post a real question about reefing and the pets we keep in them you cant even get any one to read it much less post a reply. Am i missing something here???

Those threads are a lot older and have a lot more to talk about than a single question?

It's kind of frustrating when you see it happen but it does and we all deal with it. Some questions get asked every few days and still get lots of replies. No rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes a question won't get answered because people honestly don't have a good answer, like the bump on the back of your Sohal. I wouldn't post an answer because I don't know and anything I say could lead you in the wrong direction looking for a solution.

BTW...is the fish getting better?

Mike

what ive gathered because it happens to me too.
you have not put in your time or its a stuid question to them(not everyone,ive gotting alot of help)this is a place to learn the hobby but people have better things to talk about because they have already learned the hobby.me,if i think i can help someone i do.
people didnt wake knowing this fine hobby and some one showed you the way so anyway three words.............
PAY IT FORWARD

I think I understand the question you asked. The reason this happens is because if you ask something that has been asked over and over then most people don't view these because they know the answer. Some people will answer you. Sorry but this happens sometimes. What question do you have?

Thanks to those who have taken the time to reply. I know there are the same questions asked daily and people get tired of that. But I dont think my question about the sohal was a daily repeat. I appreciate that some people are smart enough to not just give out random info or even just make up some thing. I really enjoy this site and most of the people on here. I know that my post count is low and I havent been around here long but that shouldnt make my post any less important than the next. im new to this site but not reefing or keeping fishes in general. well any way thanks everyone and thanks for a great site

Jason

I think the problem is the turnover rate on the site is quicker than other BBs. Your post can get buried in an hour here by posts that have high volume.

there are a lot of facets to this aspect. 1) not enough folks troll the boards with selfless intent, meaning they're here to seek out their own information and don't bother looking at others queries. 2) a unique question will have a small target audience, and often it can take a while before those with that experience run across the thread; with the traffic at RC, a question can fall to the abyss before it gets the right attention. 3) poorly worded or vague descriptions that don't provide enough detail to give insight. 4) plenty of other reason. ;)

Jason, I saw your post about the sohal, but as mentioned above, I had no idea what could be causing that bump. The fish disease forum doesn't get alot of traffic and this forum tends to be busier and threads, when not answered right away tend to get bumped onto page 2. Your best bet is to keep bumping your thread to the top until someone who knows something about what might be wrong with the tang can chime in.

Good luck with the tang - I hope you can get it taken care of.

I pm'd a couple of people after reading both of your posts, to see if they could help you, because I didn't know. Hopefully they can point you in the right direction, or answer your question.
I was one who read your posts and wished i could help but I don't have a clue.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14786286#post14786286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crvz
there are a lot of facets to this aspect. 1) not enough folks troll the boards with selfless intent, meaning they're here to seek out their own information and don't bother looking at others queries. 2) a unique question will have a small target audience, and often it can take a while before those with that experience run across the thread; with the traffic at RC, a question can fall to the abyss before it gets the right attention. 3) poorly worded or vague descriptions that don't provide enough detail to give insight. 4) plenty of other reason. ;)

I try and answer questions that I have experience with. But some questions are simply not within the experience of a lot of people. Providing a picture often will help someone who wants to help. Sometimes I get tired of answering the same question but usually I answer anyways. But if I don't know, I simply cannot help.

Alot of times you'll see a post go unanswered all day and then when the evening crowd gets home from work or what have you a lot of responses roll in from the new crowd.

I have had the same problem, a bunch of times. I think everyone who has replied here has felt your pain. Sadly, I do think post count has something to do with it.

I have found that if you troll around a bit and find other reefer's with a set up similar to yours, or the same livestock, its a good idea to send them a pm. I have been really impressed with how helpful people are when you seek them out directly. On RC, as well as in life, it's all about the network!!!

Best of luck with the Sohal; its a stunning fish.

Cheers.

It's unbelievable how much knowledge people have

Back