Will a pencil urchin eat my corals?

MissSquishy

So I have an algae outbreak and as I'm correcting things I thought is get an urchin to help me along. Guy at the store told me to get two pencils, he loves them and had them in a reef tank. I get home and googled hem and first thing I saw they can eat corals????
Man I'm stupid, I knew I should have checked before getting them.
I have candy cane, zoas, a leather toadstool, frogspawn, torch, and a sea apple and clam. Will they be affected?

What do you think?

I have never had an urchin mess with my corals other than by knocking the over/off the rock. Just make sure your corals are attached/anchored well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I love urchin, yes, they will eat your coral. I'm assuming your talking about sps frags..

From note 5.. rip note 7

it's not that they target the coral it's more of anything in it's path that can be munched on will be had $25 red hornet's 3 of them in it's path one night damn thing was latched on the plug jaws of life would not get it to release. AND hey this is not the route you want to take with your problem. If I were you I would do a large W/C take each piece of rock out and scrub it down with a toothbrush maybe dipping the brush in some H2o2 for the turf algae rinse each rock down and clean the sandbed I mean get in there good. You need to test the phosphates right after and get them down slowly to .03. This is just a start in the right direction you need to look at why you got there. 1st base of testing would be rodi,overstocking,overfeeding, underwhelming husbandry

it's not that they target the coral it's more of anything in it's path that can be munched on will be had $25 red hornet's 3 of them in it's path one night damn thing was latched on the plug jaws of life would not get it to release. AND hey this is not the route you want to take with your problem. If I were you I would do a large W/C take each piece of rock out and scrub it down with a toothbrush maybe dipping the brush in some H2o2 for the turf algae rinse each rock down and clean the sandbed I mean get in there good. You need to test the phosphates right after and get them down slowly to .03. This is just a start in the right direction you need to look at why you got there. 1st base of testing would be rodi,overstocking,overfeeding, underwhelming husbandry

There's a few ideas of how I got the algae, I'm trying to correct all that I think lead to it. However I'm testing my phosphate and have no reading of them. Crazy right?!

There's a few ideas of how I got the algae, I'm trying to correct all that I think lead to it. However I'm testing my phosphate and have no reading of them. Crazy right?!

no not at all it's locked up in the algae why I suggested to test after you do the scrub h2o2 outside the tank and break it up

Back