Wiring apex to TRC drivers

TwistedEnvy

Acan Freak
So I am a bit confused on how to connect the TRC drivers (thomas research) to the apex cable. I've got the yellow, purple, and green wires. What do I hook the yellow wire to?

Yellow= 10V ??? on same orange white?
Purple= 0-10 input (orange/white on ethernet)
green= ground (green on ethernet)

Last edited:
I would be interested in your build using this driver and how to connect to Apex. I am thinking of building my own LED system using the same drivers and using my Apex to control it also.

Tagging Along..

What model number or watt driver are you using?

does it say that it is 10V? A lot of drivers will include a 10v source for you so that it is easy to dim them using only a pot or using a pwm signal and a transistor.

since your controller already has its own 0-10v output (right? not sure), you don't have to hook that wire up to anything. if you connected it with the 0-10v wire, your leds would just be full blast all the time because you would always be giving them 10v

Thanks guys that really helps. Unfortunately for me, electrical stuff does not come easy. Common AC input wires go to the large terminal on your 2 prong plug as well, right? So my white or COM wire goes to the larger terminal and my black or LINE wire goes to my smaller terminal

2 Channel Apex to Light Dimming Cable

Green and Yellow are not used
Black is " + "
Red is " - "

Thomas Research Products

Purple is full 10V
Yellow is 0-10 Volts
Green is Ground

From my understanding to make yours dim with the Apex you would connect the Black to the Yellow and the Red to the Green.

To make sure I would call Thomas Research and Neptune Systems to make sure.

May I ask where you bought your Thomas Research Drivers?

As far as your colors go I would have to see the RJ45 end of your cable.

I got this from Page 65 of the unofficial Apex Guide
http://reeftech.webs.com/Apex New User Guide.pdf

From Left to Right (the copper pins facing you) it should be as follows.

First Driver
Pin 1 - 0-10
Pin 2 - Ground
Pin 3 - Not Used
Pin 4 - Not Used

Second Driver
Pin 5 - 0-10
Pin 6 - Ground
Pin 7
Pin 8

Now match up the pin to your wire color scheme if you are using a Standard Cat 5 Network Cable it would be:

Driver 1
Pin 1 - Yellow / White to Driver Yellow
Pin 2 - Soild Yellow to Driver Green

Driver 2
Pin 5 - Blue / White to Driver Yellow
Pin 6 - Soild Green to Driver Green

Of course all of this is based on a Standard CAT5 Cable that is wired for a "B" Network. This is the most common used today.

here is a picture of the different CAT5 cables so you know what you have:
586a586b.gif

AND
the unofficial Apex Guide being correct
http://reeftech.webs.com/Apex New User Guide.pdf

please let us know what you find out on this information I know someone that is going to be doing the same thing with the same drivers, that is why I looked into it

Back