wiring gfci to standard outlet

All I am going to say is Code is Law. I'm not going to pick apart your guys' postings but you should get a pro in there. - Joey Collins, Electrical Contractor

There are plenty of us here that are well versed in the NEC...

I am not sure what you are refering to when you say "pick apart" postings, but there is no NEC code verse that prohibits the construction or use of a DIY "GFCI power snake".

Sorry to be rude, but your post appears to be more of a drive by insult than anything else.

As far as lighting and GFCI, there are some basic guidlines in the NEC. We can surely post them if need be. Some local codes REQUIRE bathroom shower lights and similar fixtures to be GFCI protected. The bathroom lights however, must not be on the GFCI protected REQUIRED utility branch circuit.

Not knowing the details of Tom's setup, it is not my (or your) place to say if he is or is not in compliance with the NEC.

If I'm not in compliance, it's my builders electrician's fault. I did not wire anything besides the basement. I know thats to code cause my wifes cousin is an electrician and helped me wire it so it would be in code.
tom

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12897234#post12897234 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
I.E. you are using a hedge trimmer and the power goes out because a drunk hits the pole down the street. You walk away and leave the device laying on the curb and go toss back a few beers. The power comes back on 20 minutes later and the hedge trimmer takes off down the sidewalk cutting the dogs leg off....

Man i hate it when that happens. If i had a nickel for every dog/cat leg that I had accidentally cut off like that... :lol:

"Man i hate it when that happens."

I have nearly cut my own leg off once:

Grinding with an 8" grinder with no guard ( the BIG one ) & the trigger lock on. Circuit breaker trips ( which it does often at a construction site ) stand there waiting for someone to turn it back on ( usually one minute ), after a few minutes I set the grinder down, THEN power comes back on & grinder takes off across the job site..... Talk about something that can whack off a leg. ;-)

jcollins,

This forum has been through this a million times.

It is NOT illegal to do your own electrical wiring ( contrary to what many electricians tell you ).

If that were the case, Home Depot could be held liable for helping you break the law by selling you romex, outlets, then telling you how to install them.

Stu

What is even worse is that there are a large number of "pros" who have no clue what they are doing...

I know very few electrical contactors that I would trust to wire my home. That of course is why I did it myself and did it right. The same holds true for building my deck, bathroom, kitchen, plumbing and just about everything else in my home.

Plenty of folks have credentials in trades... that does not mean that they should have them.

Bean,

I have one electrical tech at work who wired his own garage & installed a gas heater.

When the inspector came to look, he said to the tech "Hmm..... did all this yourself did ya?"

The tech was worried and said "Ah... Yes why?"

The inspector replied "you did too nice of a job to have been a contractor"

I'm not bashing all contractors, just relaying a true story.

Stu

Likewise Stu... The inspector came to put a stickers on my panels. He saw enough in 2 minutes to pass the work. He made a similar comment and happily signed the stickers. By all accounts the guy is very hard to please.

this is a great thread minus the mindless banter. I live in a Apartment and the whole snake GFCI is great, but hears my question about can I do this?

standard 2 outlet---->surge protector/power strip---->multable GFCI "snakes"

the reason is beacue I need more then two GFCI snakes

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12922022#post12922022 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Giga
this is a great thread minus the mindless banter. I live in a Apartment and the whole snake GFCI is great, but hears my question about can I do this?

standard 2 outlet---->surge protector/power strip---->multable GFCI "snakes"

the reason is beacue I need more then two GFCI snakes

I have one of those deals that plugs into the 2 outlet receptacle, that makes it a 6 plug. Then the snakes plug into that.

Yes, But I would not plug them all into a "power strip" unless that power strip is an industrial/commercial power strip.

The alternative is to build (2) double duplex power snakes and plug each into one of the receptacle ports. That will give you 4 GFCIs, two per flexible cord. Always use spec/commercial or hospital grade receptacles. The lower end stuff is junk.

"Power strips" are fires waiting to happen.

Bean

Sabbath, I am not a big fan of those 6-way splitters either. If you took one apart and sow how poorly they contacts are made...

Mindless banter? Where?

In parallel...

You would wire the HOT from the wall to the LINE side of EACH GFCI receptacle, and likewise the NEUTRAL to LINE side of EACH GFCI receptacle.

Please don't take this the wrong way... but if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing, then you really should enlist the help of somebody who does.

DIY electrical projects are perfectly fine, as long as your level of understanding matches the scope of the project.

Please don't take this the wrong way... but if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing, then you really should enlist the help of somebody who does.

most def-I do understand it as my first major was electronic engineering but that was a really long time ago and I change my major after a year:rolleyes: I did make my own metal halide and wired that up with out getting shocked :cool:

Good point beananimal, I should really change it out to at least a good industrial 18" long 3way splitter type plug.

P.S. I'm a licensed electrician. And agree with beans many post on this stuff. To know how wiring works around a fish tank...

Back