Wishing Online shopping was like Japan......

myerst2

Looking through the a few Japanese online retailers. Found these lookers. Really love the true personifer. I forget where the true personifer is found, anyone know? Fish were found on Vessel and B-box. T

f139.jpg

f286.jpg

0020030015992.jpg

f296.jpg

0020010026092.jpg

Tim, true personifers come from Western Australia. Not nearly as many collectors on that side of the continent compared to all the collectors on the eastern side.

That is crazy, Japan trip anybody? Seriously i would love to just travel to see the shops down there!! One of my friends went down two years ago and said that you pretty much see every fish you only dream of seeing.

Why is it so different from the US? I rarely see fish available here that aren't available on your side of the pond. And those that are don't interest me. I actually get all my fish through Vessel and B-Box. Mostly Vessel as they are a bit cheaper but I don't have anything that you can't get in the US. Even my Blue Line Angel is available there.

Also I'd much rather have a Yellow Tang than a Gem Tang any day. Would rather have an Emperor than a Clarion:

32eec65d6cfdc1ce799ed31118fd9e59.jpg

Natural is another place in Japan I've used.

NexDog, yes most of the fish you guys get we can get here but not as frequently, some we never get. Like personatus, l.klayi, and certain anthias to name a few. Also you may like the more common fish but I personally prefer the more uncommon or unique fish. Now currently I don't have anything out of the ordinary, but if I could afford them I'd have a candy basslet, a bank butterfly, L. klayi and a bunch of other rare fish.

That Clarion is up for 550,000 yen which is like $5,000 USD. I think people are nuts to pay sums like that for a fish that could die quite easily. People in this hobby are generally crazy I think. :p

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15446007#post15446007 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NexDog
That Clarion is up for 550,000 yen which is like $5,000 USD. I think people are nuts to pay sums like that for a fish that could die quite easily. People in this hobby are generally crazy I think. :p

You could drive over a clarion in your car, while shooting it and poisoning it, and it would probably still survive. They are horrifically sturdy.

As an american owner of many rare fish (especially stateside), I would simply say, to each, their own. I enjoy seeing things that are unique and inspiring to me. Yellow tangs I have seen for the past 20+ years, and they do not inspire me at all anymore. Colorful? Yes. Cheap (here in the US)? Yes. Would I put one in my tank? Never. I have so much more passion to look in my tank now, with the gem tang, clarion, conspic, carmabi, amongst others.

Sounds like an expensive tank. Do you have a link to somewhere with pics/info?

The tank wasnt expensive, the INHABITANTS were!!

There are some pics around here somewhere. Im bad about that.

i'm going to japan for 2 weeks on the 12th, i've been drooling over some of the rare stuff I can hopefully see while i'm in tokyo

For instance I've never sen a Crosshatch or Blue Jaw Trigger in Japan and would love either. Let alone a Queen or BlueLine (too agrressive for me but never seen one).

EDIT: is this a female Blue Jaw:

f276.jpg

Last edited:
When I lived in Japan I was into Discus. I bought fish in the 100 to 150 dollar range, which, at the time, I thought was crazy expensive. Never saw a SW store, though

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15447340#post15447340 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NexDog
EDIT: is this a female Blue Jaw:

Its actually a male bluejaw that isn't fully developed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15447819#post15447819 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AuroraDrvr
Its actually a male bluejaw that isn't fully developed.

Ya look like he is just starting to color up.

actually-- you can make it like Japan. Just plan on spending top dollar on every fish.

Stateside we get fish pretty cheap, and frequently complain about it.
The Japanese have history of being willing to pay high dollar amounts for their rare fish. So of course rare fish end up there first.

I agree with Jeremey. I have been doing this for a long time and have kept a ton of different species. So seeing some of exotic stuff just makes me dream. Here are some other dreamy fish found on A blog Blue Harbor. So which one would you take if you could only have one out this bunch? I would have to go with the personatus or the trio of babies. What is the angel? in the first pic bottom left? T
IMG_0409_R-thumb.jpg

012_R-thumb.jpg

IMG_6916_R-thumb.jpg
IMG_5884_R-thumb.jpg

IMG_4648_R-thumb.jpg

IMG_4276_R-thumb.jpg

IMG_0814_R-thumb.jpg

9_R-thumb.jpg

12_R-thumb.jpg

11_R-thumb.jpg

I'll take pics of SW shops out here for you. I am stationed out here with another bud of mine on here. Lots of crazy stuff especially the freshwater side. Rare fish for salt havent seen too too many one here and there but usually gone quick. Yes the japanese pay to play nothing is cheap out here. Thats why I search for deals on equipment here. AQ MJ1200 is like 80 Bux here. LOL

Japan pays more, end of story. The states have a hard time shelling out 2k for a fish (except a handful of people) while Japanese hobbyists will drop 2k on semi common fish if it is 1) healthy and 2) eating with no questions asked. US people are always looking for the better deal and try to haggle and play games with exporters. Japan usually just buys as long as quality is good.

Take the clarions... once a very rare fish going for 5-10k a piece and then BAM, over night they dropped to what? 1200$ if you know somebody... Japan still sells them for 5k.

I would like to know where they got those earlei!

And those are baby debelius angels bred by RCT way back in the day. Copps took the breeding pair!

Back