With all the great sales going on, don't forget to QT!

MikeD

As the sub says, don't forget to QT.

I never have luck with QT for fish so I don't know how to get around that... But at least for corals, I'm pretty successful. I just bought some zoos and there were nudibranchs on them. Good thing I observed them first in a small 5 gallon QT tank and then I did dips on them. From now on, I'm dipping first, then putting them in the QT tank for awhile before the display!

Mike

Anyone have any secrets to being successful with QT of fish? I seem to have a hard time getting the 20g tank stable (currently been cycling over a month).
I remember Doug posted some info and seemed to have success, wondering what the rest of us are doing wrong.

I just QT-ed a radiant wrasse (and have a B&W clown in there still). Got the radiant out to put in display but he freaked. Haven't seen him since the move. Was Tuesday. Guessing it's dead. The downside of QT... have to catch and move the fish again...

I had a solar wrasse who went in to the main tank. Saw him on day one, then not again until day 12 (yes, twelve), disappeared the next day and haen't seen him since...that was months ago.

For me, I can't QT a fish if my life depended on it.... I don't know how I'll ever get fish again... EVER!

Yeah Jenny. I know. But sometimes your gut knows. I don't think I'm seeing this one again.

I have had good luck with my qt/hospital tank.
I will never add a fish to my display again with leaving it in qt for atleast 3 weeks.

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

I had Rod drill me a 20 gal. tank and just built a 2x4 frame and used a 10 gal. for a sump also put nw-150 0cto skimmer.
small mag drive for a return pump. added about 10 lbs. of live rock from my main display rock was very well established
and have had very good luck.

I didn't bother with any bells and whistles for my 29 gallon QT tank, A HOB power filter (think aquaclear) with sponges, a 150W heater and a powerhead for aeration. I used a couple of pieces of Live Rock as biofilter until the sponges cycled and they can be removed if needed to treat the tank. Salinity at 1.009 and it's off to the races.

HTH,
RandalB

Back