Wooo Bubble Algae (Not!)

Mynx

Don't know where to post this exactly, sorry.

Anywho, I've discovered two small clutches of bubble algae, and I'm not happy, I was perfectly happy with my hair algae thank you very much. Now I have this terribly ugly spot on a rock with my Sebae and Ricordea garden on it and I don't know how to get rid of it without trying to get my sebae and garden off first. :(

Any tips? Advice? Tank is Fallow at the moment for Ich breakout, been feeding once every 3-5 days if I remember to keep my 3 Hermits, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Starfish and snail happy, though for the most part, this fallow time has made my hair algae disappear rapidly as my hermits, snail and starfish all seem to be grazing happily on it, this bubble algae seems to have sprouted up overnight. Anything I can do? :deadhorse:

EDIT; I was not aware there were different types of his Algae, I'll try and get a macro pic of them tomorrow. These are small GROUPS of bubbles, dark green and only a few mm big at the moment.

Last edited:
Manually remove it.

I've had bubble algae, well.. still do, but there is none in my display. My foxface makes sure of that. I get it occasionally in my overflow box.

You could try to continue to starve it by uber cleaning your tank and restricting feedings, but your corals and inverts wouldn't appreciate that.

Many people say to not pop them in your tank, but then turn around and recommend an emerald crab to eat it. Which is contradictory since the crab is popping them.

Injecting the bubbles with hydrogen peroxide worked for me. I used an insulin hypodermic needle.

Injecting the bubbles with hydrogen peroxide worked for me. I used an insulin hypodermic needle.

word of caution with syringes, if you bend the needle (or even if not) be EXTREMELY careful putting the cap back on. that sharp little piece of stainless is quite capable of going right through the plastic cap like a hot knife through butter, and directly in to your finger.

ask me how i know. ;)

Oh I know about the needle in the finger, Two family members are diabetic so I'm used it lol. Thanks for the advice! I'll think about all and plan my best course of action! (I'm liking the idea of stabbing it with peroxide! lol)

How much peroxide are we talking here? Enough to fill up, or a bit less? I'm thinking this is my best route considering my bioload.

Last edited:
Manually remove it.

I've had bubble algae, well.. still do, but there is none in my display. My foxface makes sure of that. I get it occasionally in my overflow box.

You could try to continue to starve it by uber cleaning your tank and restricting feedings, but your corals and inverts wouldn't appreciate that.

Many people say to not pop them in your tank, but then turn around and recommend an emerald crab to eat it. Which is contradictory since the crab is popping them.

Which foxface do you have? I haven't come across any that would eat nuisance algae. Not that I have the room for one yet, just curious.

Last edited:
When its still small and "young" it will scrape off the rocks with minimal effort. Last time I siphoned my tank I used the hose to rub the bubbles off the rock and then sucked up the bubble and any spores if it broke. Most came off in one piece with the bubble still intact. Doing that seemed to do the trick for me.

Back