World's Easiest SPS - A Pseudo Survey

toothybugs

Hey folks -

I have to set up an SPS tank at work (rough deal, right?) and since I'm not a SPS nut, I did some homework on easier SPS and am looking to confirm that with you. So, in no particular order, are these the top easiest SPS:

Seriatopora
Montipora capricornis
Montipora digitata
Pocillopora
Stylophora
Green Slimer (Acropora yongei) (*I've heard of a purple slimer that's also easy?)
Millipora

Corrections and/ or additions are very welcome.

NJG

I only have experience with Monipora Caps, Ive read that they are relatively hardy as long as Cal, Alk and Mag are in Check..

Good list. Must be rough to have a work assignment like that :) I would agree with it but would put Seriatopora further down - not that they aren't easy to grow but (for me at least) they seem to be prone to random RTN. Twice I've had volleyball size colonies decide to RTN for no apparent reason and with no other corals in the tank showing any adverse signs.

It's not in any particular order, except the order that they came to mind. There anything I should consider sticking on the list?

Cyphastrea: I used to have a pink cyphastrea decadia, a branching coral that was very hardy.

Hydnophora: another easy SPS. Extremely agressive though.

IME montipora digitata is the easiest SPS. just my experience though.

+1 -- grows like crazy, looks good, and has the added benefit of not being invasive (i.e. tends to lose the battle against other corals it 'runs into')

Good list, pocciloporas are great because u will know somthing is off when they arent happy. Great barometer for any sps beginner. As long as u keep stable levels and good light u will be fine.

They spawn by polyp bail out if somthing fluctuates i.e temp, alk, water changes to fast, i dont have to worry about that.

Tricolor validas and Pavona have always been very hardy for me. In addition to what has been mentioned of course :)

I've got a Setosa that seems to be bulletproof. Great color & growth, easy to frag etc. Very undemanding coral.

green birdsnest? I have accidental frags growing from my sandbed.

Tricolor validas and Pavona have always been very hardy for me. In addition to what has been mentioned of course :)

My tricolor is always washed out, is that a lower light coral?

I think your list is spot on. I would add porites (encrusting and branching) to that list, and for us the easiest acropora has been the ORA Scripps Green Tip Acropora.

Montiporas are fairly hardy unless you get monitpora eating nudibranches ...

Pocillopora damicornis, spawns in my sump. It is THE nuisance SPS.

I wish it broadcast in my sump. Instead it spread throughout my DT.

So aside from this nuisance, I'd have to say monty digis and caps as well as pink birdsnest have been the easiest for me.

Back