Worried about this stand...(pictures!)

AquaWave523

Ok, some of you know I had a nightmare 2 weeks ago. My 90 gallon tank cracked leaving only 30 gallons of water left. I was very upset and got a new tank from the place i purchased it from (it was under warranty).

Little that I know that the problem doesn't end there, I noticed there's a seam opening up at the corner of the tank. It appears to be have damaged from the leaking tank. I noticed that the left door doesnt open as easily as it did either.

Does anyone know if this is a serious issue and or should I be concern? I'm hoping they built these stands strong enough to withstand salt water....sigh..............

221909hd.jpg

yeah thats a problem. Looks like you have one of the standard stands that is sold with aquariums. see if you can get another stand. If not look for the DIY stand build thread, you can build something way better than what you have for alot less money. Peace of mind is worth a lot in my mind.

HTH

It may have been the failing (uneven support) stand that caused the tank failure in the first place. Without seeing more photos, it is hard to give advice other than asking you to take a serious look at the integrity of the stand.

I've seen a lot of pre-fab stands at my lfs that are made from particle board. It could have soaked in water and be breaking down now. I think you need to replace the stand or rebuild with plywood.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15421410#post15421410 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
It may have been the failing (uneven support) stand that caused the tank failure in the first place. Without seeing more photos, it is hard to give advice other than asking you to take a serious look at the integrity of the stand.

yep! The cracked tank may be a result rather than a cause.

The only thing I can assertain from that photograph is cosmetic. Its going to be tough to post enough photos/info about the stand to get ABSOLUTE peace of mind from answers youll get here. I would find someone in your area to look at it.

+1 with bean and jbird. The stand is out of wack. The door sticking, or not opening like it used too is the giveaway.

J

what kind of stand should i get? and i dont have the skills to build one. I was thinking of getting one of those iron stands at the fish store....or petsmart's iron stands. or can anyone recommend a strong stand (no DYIs). :)

Thanks.

I dont like iron stands. My stand contains a sump/fuge "junkyard" close the doors to the stand and it all magically disappears! ,lol

Just get on your knees at the store and inspect the inside of stands. Stay away from particle board structures. Ive seen some nice stands at my lfs that I would use in a heartbeat. The price is why I built my own.

Stands made of particle board, mdf, OSB, and the like. Look for one that uses plywood instead. They are out there. More money, but they last a lot longer.

Jim

i build stands and canopy's and it "THE STAND"PROBABLY BROKE THE FIRST TANK SO YOU REALLY NEED TO REPLACE IT AND YES YOU COULD BUILD ONE FOR YOUR SELF FOR LESS THAN A HUNDRED DOLLARS , FINISHED . oops sorry bout the caps they ment nothing . it is amazing how cheap the stands are built from the manufacturer and they wont warrantee the tank unless you put it on one of thoes cheap junk stands ! i build some that would hold up trains and the warrantee is null and void once you put the tank on my stand . imagine that .

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15422137#post15422137 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iamwrasseman
i build stands and canopy's and it "THE STAND"PROBABLY BROKE THE FIRST TANK SO YOU REALLY NEED TO REPLACE IT AND YES YOU COULD BUILD ONE FOR YOUR SELF FOR LESS THAN A HUNDRED DOLLARS , FINISHED . oops sorry bout the caps they ment nothing . it is amazing how cheap the stands are built from the manufacturer and they wont warrantee the tank unless you put it on one of thoes cheap junk stands ! i build some that would hold up trains and the warrantee is null and void once you put the tank on my stand . imagine that .

How would they know what stand you have the tank on? What if you don't buy the tank with a stand?

i have built a few tank stands and the manufacturer does not warrantee the tank if it leaks unless you purchase the stand supplied by them for that specific tank . one thing to keep in mind is this happens when you get into tanks 210gal and larger . i have had more than one customer find this info and bring it to my attention . all it reall is ,is a ploy to sell you more stuff but its their option ! thease are things that you wont find out until you have a busted tank and then they will ask to see the stand that "supported" it .

Agreed - The "warranty" with their stand only is a line of crap... Most of the stands built commercially are pieces of crap to begin with and are severely over charged. My dad is a carpenter and helped me with my 1st stand and it turned out wonderfully, and was probably 20x more sturdy than the particle board or pine tongue and groove stands you buy at petco or the like. Looks better, better construction and about 1/3 of the price..

the problem is the place that you live you must find someone close to build one for you or the shipping will cost more than the stand . where are you located i coild set you right up if your close enough for "domestic"delivery ,um like my truck .

Hard to give advice w/out actually seeing that stand in person.
If it is oak as you say, not particle board, it's possible that stand could even be rebuilt/beefed up.
I've also taken petco stands that look pretty/come w/ nice finish and add support to make more secure/last longer.

Back