Would like LED recommendations for 90gal

namsupak

Premium Member
Hey I have been taking a hiatus for about 3 years. Now I am cleaning up my tank and starting over again. I took out my old AI modules and 2 of the 4 appear to have some corrosion around the power ports and I guess I am in the market for new lights now too.

When I got out LEDs seemed like they were the hot new thing, now so many more companies are making them.

Anyhow I am thinking FOWLR or maybe an anemone. I am not planning on any SPS at this point.

It seems like Maxspect is making a good product. So I was thinking about 2 of the 130w ethereal lights.

Or does anyone have experience with Current USA's Orbit Marine IC? Are these underpowered?

I am also open to other recommendations so I can take advantage of some black friday deals.

Thanks for any help you can give.

If you are doing a FOWLR, any light will do, even no light but ambiant.

If you add an anemone it's an entirely different issue. It needs good light and the Current Orbit is out of the question due to lack of PAR.

What size tank? Orbit marine are underpowered for anything but a small/shallow softie tank, but would be fine for a FOWLR of course. Any of the big name fixtures should keep an anemone, kessil, AI, Ecotech Radion. There are lots of other options out there if you do a little research but to give any more recommendations, tank size is required.

What size tank? Orbit marine are underpowered for anything but a small/shallow softie tank, but would be fine for a FOWLR of course. Any of the big name fixtures should keep an anemone, kessil, AI, Ecotech Radion. There are lots of other options out there if you do a little research but to give any more recommendations, tank size is required.

No offense but it does say 90gallon in the title. :lmao:

Really there are a ton of LED lights that can work from the most basic Chinese black boxes meaning no timer but price is right. Then you have ones with timers and even WIFI versions of LED's which can be controlled by a phone app. You can simulate sunrise and sunset with those.

So I guess you need to know what features are important and a budget for said lights and what you definitely intent to keep. It's not like there is a shortage of LED makers and some better than others. A FOWLR really doesn't need a special light. I'd suggest you spend some time here in this forum reading threads as there is a thread for most any LED light you can think of on the market.

You can also read this thread on "Novices need LED lighting questions answered" http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2556775

my 90 gal is 48x18x24

No offense but it does say 90gallon in the title. :lmao:

Really there are a ton of LED lights that can work from the most basic Chinese black boxes meaning no timer but price is right. Then you have ones with timers and even WIFI versions of LED's which can be controlled by a phone app. You can simulate sunrise and sunset with those.

So I guess you need to know what features are important and a budget for said lights and what you definitely intent to keep. It's not like there is a shortage of LED makers and some better than others. A FOWLR really doesn't need a special light. I'd suggest you spend some time here in this forum reading threads as there is a thread for most any LED light you can think of on the market.

You can also read this thread on "Novices need LED lighting questions answered" http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2556775

You are right I was kind of vague in the initial post.

Budget: I would like to keep it under a $1000. But I have no problem going up to $1500-2000 range.

Livestock: Let's just say softies are probably going to make it in there at some point.

I am interested in some of the advanced features like wireless control, its not a necessity though.

I do definitely want something I can program to change throughout the day automatically, since I don't have an Apex or Neptune.

Reliability is important for me though, and I plan to use a tank mount, not ceiling mount.

Currently I am looking at the Maxspect ethereal as a front runner, probably 2x 130w, they seem pretty new though so I was unsure of people's experiences with them so far.

I'd probably go with either radions, hydra 52's, or the etherals you mentioned. I am recommending the radions or hydras because they are going to offer you what your looking for and more. You will have the option to keep whatever type of corals you choose. I know for myself that sometimes I'll set up a tank with the intent of a certain type of coral to be the focus. But over time my tastes tend to change and I might end up changing the types of corals I keep. If you go with some high intensity leds from the start it could save you from upgrading once again if you happen to start stocking sps or something similar.

On a side note, i've heard some pretty good reviews on the etherals from a buddy who has one over his 60 cube. They are definitely an attractive option since they are at a fantastic price point.

On a side note, i've heard some pretty good reviews on the etherals from a buddy who has one over his 60 cube. They are definitely an attractive option since they are at a fantastic price point.

Thanks for the info, I was looking at the eco tech radions last week because I am using their vortechs now and they are great so I assume the lights are too. However I got some emails about the Maxspect Black Friday sales so I was thinking that maybe hard to pass on. I was even thinking about adding one of their gyres.

Honestly, the etherals will fit the bill for what your trying to do. They may not have been out for a long time but maxspect has been in the LED game for awhile now and i've heard from others that they offer great customer service. They may be lower in intensity then AI's or radions but a 90g isn't overly tall to where you would need super intense LED's especially with how you intend to stock the tank.

Honestly, the etherals will fit the bill for what your trying to do. They may not have been out for a long time but maxspect has been in the LED game for awhile now and i've heard from others that they offer great customer service. They may be lower in intensity then AI's or radions but a 90g isn't overly tall to where you would need super intense LED's especially with how you intend to stock the tank.

Thanks for the advice I went ahead and pulled the trigger, I ordered the 2 ethereals and I went ahead and added the 250 gyre for good measure. Hopefully once I get it all running again I'll have some pictures to show.

Last edited:
Personally I like the combination of LED and T5. For my 75 I went with the RapidLED aurora dual puck kit. The 75 isn't set up yet but the LEDs are up over my 46 bowfront without the T5s and I'm worried it is too bright already. I'll have to dial it back a bit when I add the T5s.

I got the dual pucks on 2 heatsinks and I may end up extending the wires connecting the 2 pucks to spread them out more and get more even coverage. I was running it with just the blue and white channels at first and thought that was a good amount of light, then I turned on the color and UV channels and holy crap that is a lot of light. Over a 90, I think you will find it to be the same. Plus this setup is not too expensive so you can save a bit of money compared to the radions and your 1.5K budget.

Thanks for the advice I went ahead and pulled the trigger, I ordered the 2 ethereals and I went ahead and added the 250 gyre for good measure. Hopefully once I get it all running again I'll have some pictures to show.

I think you made a wise choice and please keep us updated on the progress. I just bought a 250 gyre also and they 20% off was great.

Back