Would Salinity jump of 1.022 to 1.026 kill good backteria in cycle?

I'm cycling a 2 gallon tank. The cycle seemed to be progressing and my amonia was being lowered (I"m using Dr. Tim's amonia) but I raised the amonia from 1 PPM to 3 (as specified in Dr. Tims) and amonia is not going down now.

I had a instant jump of salinity of 1.022 to 1.026 (by mistake). Did this likely kill the beneficial bacteria?

If so, should I add a new dose of beneficial starter bacteria OR is there a risk over overdosing the tank with this.

A sudden change like that might do some damage, but the bacteria will recover given some time. I wouldn't worry all that much, but I'd try to shift the SG more like 0.001 units at a time.

You can add more bacteria if you'd like. That might speed the process. It's impossible to overdose them, in any meaningful sense. Maybe if half the water volume were bacterial culture there might be some issue. :)

During cycling i would consistantly add bacteria. Just to maie sure. But what do you dose anyway?

Bacteria will always be there. It multiplies faster than you know and salinity of 1.069 wont hurt them.. haha

How long has it been cycling?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bacteria would not likely be osmotically shocked into inaction by such a small change in salinity.

I have read posts on this forum claiming that high levels of NH3 can be a problem.

Back