would this be a decent saw?

geaux xman

Just looking for something decent to do misc. work around the house and build a fish tank stand. Looking to spend about $2-300 max.

2321fa3b-5ac9-4aa4-b39f-db9c8a4ced5c_300.jpg

RIDGID 15 Amp 10 in. Compound Miter Saw with Laser Alignment

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25e...gId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=saw&storeId=10051

Theres a whole selection here if someone wants to help me pick one.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc28l/h_d2/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Thanks.

i have the 12 inch ridgid and my only complaint i have is i store it up high and it is quite heavy. im not sure about down in the states but in canada ridgid has a lifetime warrenty ive sent my drill in and it has come back good as new. dewalt would be a great saw as well i just like the lifetime warrenty myself

Check harbour freight. I bought a saw like that for less than $100 and it more than handles what i use it for! There is no need to pay an extra$100 for a nem because if you aren't gonna use it everyday you don't need top quality and a high price. You might want a table saw also or instead for a stand build! I wish i had one instead of a hand saw that i used!

You can't go wrong with anything DeWalt.

+1!!

i got a drill, sander, chopsaw, angle grinder, and bench grinder all from dewalt, all 5+ yrs old with many, many hours of use and sometimes abuse, not once have i ever been let down by dewalt :beer:

Either of the brands should do fine for misc. stuff around the house. Although, if you're willing to go up to $300 I'd try to find something that bevels both ways. You'll be much happier with it if you do. I think lowes was carrying a double bevel Hitachi for $300.

Dewalt lol. I have one of their xrp drills that crapped out on me after a year and half of moderate use. I've got a ryobi 18v cordless lithium that I have used and abused for 5 years now that refuses to die no matter what I do to it. It's taken quite a few falls from ladders. Price doesn't always mean everything.

You can't go wrong with anything DeWalt.

Not a hard fast rule IMO. I got this drill:

ee30696b-88d1-40e9-b32b-11f21bf50dc0_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...&langId=-1&keyword=dewalt+drill&storeId=10051

And while it had some nice qualities like feeling light but also solid, it had this absolutely terrible habit of jumping hard when trying to very lightly depress the trigger. It did this at random, but at a rate of maybe 2/3 times I would pull the trigger. I thought it was a faulty model, so I brought it back and got a different one. Same problem with the next one, so I returned it for good.

Now here's the kicker: When I went back on the homedepot site, this drill had 4/5 stars, with other people describing this exact same problem. That was last year. Now when I look at the the homedepot site, these reviews happen to be missing, and the product has 5 stars. :hmm3:

Since I'm off on a tangent anyway, I must say that per the recommendation of Kcress, I ended up with this drill:

01ff7d0d-2f8a-4a68-875b-2611d893cda4_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...=-1&keyword=milwaukee+red+drill&storeId=10051

Which is absolutely phenomenal. Durable enough to drill 1,000+ 1/2" holes into logs for mushroom log culture last summer, but precise enough for me to do super fine pinholes as well.

Anyways, to reply to the OP original question :lolspin:, after lots of shopping around a couple years ago I got this miter saw:

41rs781iRZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-C10FC...Z6RG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339343931&sr=8-1

And I absolutely love it. I've used it for cutting many many boards over the past couple years, and it slices strong, steady, spot on and has never kicked back. This is all with the stock blade it came with, which I've never replaced. I've also done lots of angle/bevel cutting on both axes and its operation is flawless. It is also nice and light, so I actually keep it on a shelf in the closet when I'm not working on projects. There's nothing I would change about this saw.

Last edited:
thanks for the suggestions guys. i'll figure something out this week then toy around with building some QT tank stands.

Any of the brands listed will be fine other than Harber Freight. Hardest thing is deciding on 10" or 12", slider or not, and lazer or not. I myself have a 12" Dewalt.

Either of the brands should do fine for misc. stuff around the house. Although, if you're willing to go up to $300 I'd try to find something that bevels both ways. You'll be much happier with it if you do. I think lowes was carrying a double bevel Hitachi for $300.

Dewalt lol. I have one of their xrp drills that crapped out on me after a year and half of moderate use. I've got a ryobi 18v cordless lithium that I have used and abused for 5 years now that refuses to die no matter what I do to it. It's taken quite a few falls from ladders. Price doesn't always mean everything.

This is the exception to the rule for Ryobi.

I would definitely go with a 12", a good saw is an investment so it is definitely worth the extra money. I have used Dewalt in residential and commercial construction for years and have no complaints. Haven't used Ridgid very much but they do carry the lifetime warranty which is unusual for a power tool company. That says a lot about them and that they stand behind their products 100%.

This is the exception to the rule for Ryobi.

It could very well be. But Ive got more of thier tools that I can say the same thing about with the acception of a circular saw that didnt hold up well but that was my fault. Im very happy with my rigid table saw though. So far its served me well.

I think all the ones suggested are all fine as long as you understand the limitations of a construction miter saw. Most of the complaints are from folks that had high expectations. They are not made for perfect joints thus you dont get perfect results. Just keep your expectations in check and any of the saws will be fine for around the house and yard. If you go with the rigid you MUST register it to validate the lifetime maintenance warranty.

Don

Hi, I build cabinets, and you need a table saw, get the best buy you can for the money. The chop/miter sw is of very limited use when making about anything. You will want to cut panels more often than 2x4's.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys. I will just order that Hiatchi saw above. A lot of positive feedback on amazon. Again I'm just looking to build a couple of fish tank stands. My brother is pretty handy. I'll have him come over and help.

not once have i ever been let down by dewalt :beer:

Man, I can't stand DeFault cordless drills and their crappy batteries and chargers.

The best power tools I ever bought for my shop were an industrial pack of Festool C-12 drills (3 drills, 5 batteries, 2 chargers) and all the available chucks. It took some convincing of TPTB, but for three years we haven't had to replace anything other than broken bits. They've been used and abused and have never failed, but that's to be expected for a drill that can literally drive a million screws.

Back