Wrasse Keepers

Znut Reefer

Premium Member
I'm starting to add wrasses to my reef tank. I wanted to see what wrasses can be kept together. Can any males be mixed?

Thanks!

Most all fairies and flashers can be mixed together, just some are more aggressive than others.
It depends on the size of your tank, and how many you want to keep that will effect the aggression.

For the fairies, generally 1 male of a species per tank. You can usually mix species, but there are some that are known to be aggressive such as Scott's fairy (Cirrhilabrus scottorum) and don't mix as well. Social acclimating the fairies is generally advised when new ones are introduced.

Flashers seem to be fine together with other flasher species.

Snorvich will probably chime in with some more detailed info.

I would agree with bradleyj and TP123. Personally, I would avoid C. rosefascia and C. scottorum because they become progressively more aggressive as time passes. As TP123 says, social acclimation is important especially if you are trying to add two species that are similar body shape; however I do so for all new wrasses. As a matter of interest, females are generally more aggressive than males. The only species I would introduce as females are a group of C. jordani and let the dominant one turn to male; male flame wrasses are difficult shippers whereas females are much easier.

Thanks for the replies. So if I wanted I could add 1 male of say 3 or four different species correct? My tank is pretty large 500 DT and total system is around 650.

How do you go about social acclimating the new wrasses?

Easy. I have an acrylic little tank (about 10x10x4 inches) with slits that is sucker cupped to the inside of my tank. Newcomers, after QT, start in there so the old timers can get accustomed to them and any aggression is diffused. Usually takes about a day or less. Just remember that fairy and flasher wrasses jump and egg crate is insufficient to keep them in.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15485220#post15485220 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Easy. I have an acrylic little tank (about 10x10x4 inches) with slits that is sucker cupped to the inside of my tank. Newcomers, after QT, start in there so the old timers can get accustomed to them and any aggression is diffused. Usually takes about a day or less. Just remember that fairy and flasher wrasses jump and egg crate is insufficient to keep them in.

Thanks again, now where do I find a tank like you have? I do have the screen frames with the bird netting over the openings of the tank. A total of 4. So I did plan ahead to be sure they can't jump out the tank.

Here is an acclimation box, like Steve is talking about.

IMG_5783.jpg

PM RussM, He made this for me.

bradleyj
Thats a nice box. :) I will drop him a PM and see if he will build me one. That looks like it would work great. Thanks for your help.

That's a nice tank, the only problem I've had over the years with Wrasses is they jump out of the tank, since I do not have a canopy it's usually too late...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15486131#post15486131 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kreator
That's a nice tank, the only problem I've had over the years with Wrasses is they jump out of the tank, since I do not have a canopy it's usually too late...

Problem solved.

003-4.jpg

Yes, bradleyj is probably getting tired of all the people I send to him for the tops and acclimation boxes.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15486507#post15486507 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Yes, bradleyj is probably getting tired of all the people I send to him for the tops and acclimation boxes.

Not at all Steve.
Thats one of the main reasons why we are here. Besides forming friendships as we have, we are here to help others that are new , or learning about different fish species to form better living environments.
You just keep teaching everyone, and send as many my way that you want. I'm honored to help out.

Mine has a handle on top to hang it from the rim of my tank. If you look closely at my pic you can see it.
But you dont have to hang it in the tank. You can just buy one of those reptile boxes that has the slots in the top and place it in your tank. The problem with those is that you have to bring it back up and take the top off to feed.
But it's not a big problem.

I'm RussM, the guy that made the acclimation box for BradleyJ. After getting several PMs from others in the last couple of days, I thought I'd post here. First of all, thank you for all the compliments on the acclimi-tainers, and the interest in having me make more. :)

Due to intense work on a large consulting project, I have absolutely no time to do any custom acrylic fabrication for the foreseeable future... or to even maintain my tank... I just finished sell-off and teardown :mad: :sad2:

Back