Writing a report on stomatopods for Biology, could anybodty check if its all correct?

sean-820

Its a bit long, however it would be appreciated if some of you stomatopod addicts could proof read it (or some of it) and verify i havnt made any mistakes. Its not done yet, but i think its getting close.

Also, If Roy Caldwell reads this, could you tell me what the date is on your site (for citing purposes).

Stomatopoda

Stomatopods are predatory crustaceans that range in size (among species) from approximately 1cm to 36cm. They go by multiple common names including manits shrimp, thumb splitter, and prawn killer. They belong to the Kingdom Animalia, Phylum Arthropoda, Class Crustacea, Subclass Malacostraca and the order Stomatopoda (international wildlife encyclopedia). They are mainly found in tropical or subtropical marine environments. Stomatopods are highly predetorial and are equipped to lake down prey with a pair of limbs called raptorial appendages.

Members of the of the order stomatopoda appear to be a cross between a shrimp and a Prey Mantis (refer to figure 3). There are eight pairs of limbs that arise from the thorax (The thorax is the segment between the head and abdomen of an animal). Above the thorax segmentation are five pairs of limbs called maxillipeds. These limbs are used primarily for hunting and feeding. The second pair of maxillipeds is drastically larger then the other pairs and is called the raptorial appendage. These limbs are the main weapon of the mantis shrimp and are very powerful despite the small size of the stomatopod. The raptorial appendages in some larger species has been tested and estimated to be equivalent the force of a .22 caliber bullet (Specifically Hemisquilla ensigera and Odontodactylus scyllaruscan). Some stomatopods are capable of striking prey in less then 8 milliseconds. In comparison, this is about 50 times faster then the speed of a blink of a human eye. Stomatopods are then unofficially divided into two main subgroups called “spearers” and “smashers” based on the appearance of their raptorial appendage. In “smashers”, the raptorial appendage appears to be the shape of a club (refer to figure 2), while “speares” posess a pointed and barbed limb that is easily capable of slicing through soft bodied prey such as fish (refer to figure 1). A stomatopod’s spear, depending on species, may poses between 2 and 20 barbs. If a stomatopod has damaged raptorial appendages, or looses them (or one) altogether, it is able to regenerate it after approximately four successive molts. On the back of the stomatopod (parallel to the maxillipeds) is a large shield like section of a stomatopods exoskeleton called the carapace. The carpace is relatively short and makes up for less then one third of a stomatopods body (not including claudal region). Underneath the thorax, stomatopods posess three pairs of legs called pereiopods. These limbs are also referred to as “walking legs”. These limbs are used for walking across the sea floor, swimming as well as sifting and digging in sand. Heading towards the tail, five pairs of pleopods are located. The pleopods are biramous and branch into two. On these two branches are the stomatopods filamentous gills. The telson and the uropod form a lobster like tail that is able to protect stomatopods.

There are 17 existing families in this order as well as three species that are extinct. The families are: Alainosquillidae, Bathysquillidae, Coronididae, Erythrosquillidae, Eurysquillidae, Gonodactylidae, Hemisquillidae, Indosquillidae, Lysiosquillidae, Nannosquillidae, Odontodactylidae, Parasquillidae, Protosquillidae, Pseudosquillidae, Squillidae, Takuidae and Tetrasquillidae. In this essay the family Gonodactylidae will be used as a representative of smashers and the family Lysiosquillina will be used as a representative of spearers. There are approximately 450 species found in this order.
Compared to other crustaceans and other animals in general, stomatopods are fairly advanced. Marine biologist (University of Queensland, Australia), Dr. Justin Marshall once stated that” Mantis shrimp have the world’s most complex vision system.” Stomatopods have hexocular vision and are able to seer other spectrums of light that humans cannot including infra-red, ultra-violet as well as some species being able to see polarized light. Hexocualr vision is when an organism has three different focal points in each eye. Humans in comparison only have binocular vision or two focal points in each eye. This allows them to be very effective hunters due to their accuracy in judging distance between themselves and prey. Each eye is located on a stock that is capable of a wide range of motion. Stomatopods have up to 16 different visual pigments in their eyes compared to the three that humans have (red blue and yellow).

Stomatopods live primarily in habitats that suit their type of raptorial appendage. Spearers generally live holes dug in soft substrates such as sand (refer to figure 4), while smashers are commonly found in rock crevices on coral reefs (refer to figure 5). Smashers are often far more aggressive when it comes to defending their crevice. Crevices in coral reefs are hard to come by so smashers will aggressively defend then, while smashers will just seek out new burrows in substrate. A spearers burrow may be up to approximately 33 ft long and posess several entrances. Stomatopods live primarily in tropical of subtropical waters, however species of the super family Bathysquilloidea live in outer shelf habitats up to depths of 1500m.

Stomatopods are sexually dimorphic and the sexes can be fairly easily distinguished by their exterior anatomy. Male stomatopods poses a long and slender pair of penes (penis like organ) that are located at the base of the last set of peraeopods. Females lack penes and poses gonopores which is a slit. Gonopores are located between the first and second pair of paraeopods. Males also have lager raptorial appendages and telsons then females.

The majority of stomatopods are solitary and only encounter each other when breeding or during territorial disputes. Breeding is achieves by inserting the males penes into the females gonopores and excreting sperm. Mating is achieve by the pair positioning themselves underside to underside. Fertilization is internal and occurs when eggs are laid and pass through the gonopores and the stored sperm. After breeding, the males will leave the female. The family Lysiosquillids is an exception to this however. In this family, after breeding, the pair becomes monogomus and stays with each other for the rest of their lives. This could be up to twenty years before one of their deaths. In this situation, the male acts as the provider and gathers food while the female says with the eggs in which she has formed into a ball using exhudate that the female excreates from her ventral thorax. Once the female clumps the eggs into a ball, the female will either carry the egg mass with her maxillipeds or attach it to her crevice (homes) wall. In monogomus pairs, the female does not eat while attending the egg mass. The eggs hatch in one to three weeks. The eggs go through four main stages of development. They are in sequential order: antizoeae, erichthaus, pseudozoea and then the alima stage. Families containing larger species such as Lysiosquillae have more developed offspring that is born after going through the first couple stages of development.

Stomatopods are common in tropical and subtropical marine waters throughout the world. Scientists are able to determine the health of the world’s oceans by estimating the number of stomatopods present in a given area. Stomatopod populations will decline prior too many other species if pollution rises. Stomatopods of the family squilla are available as a commercial food source. This gives scientists a good indicator of the pollution levels in areas of the ocean and allows them to act prior to the pollution becoming a true problem. Depending on species, stomatopods are generally diurnal, nocturnal or crepuscular (dawn and dusk). When resting in their burrow, it is not uncommon to find the entrance blocked deliberately either with rocks of the stomatopod’s tail. Smashers primarily hunt hard bodied prey such as crabs, snail or mollusks, while spearers prefer to hunt soft bodies prey such as fish. This is because of their raptorial appendages. Smashers are able to use their “club” to break open hard bodied prey, while spearers are not. The blow of a smashers club is able to cripple and eventually kill hard bodied prey. This makes spearers have to prey on soft bodies foods such as fish. Spearers catch potentially fast moving fish by lying in wait in their burrow then ambushing it as it passes over head. Smashers on the other hand have to leave their burrow to catch hard bodied prey. After catching the prey, smashers then drag it back to their burrow to consume.

The stomatopod species Lysiosquillina maculate (commonly called Zebra mantis shrimp due to its colour pattern) is considered to be one of the largest of stomatopods growing to a maximum of approximately 15 inches and is a “spearer”. Both male and female Lysiosquillina maculate show distinct altering bands on their dorsal abdomens (refer to figure 6). Females tend to have a more orange appearance. Adult species of the family Lysiosquillina can be distinguished from other families partly by the presence of submedian teeth located on the telson. Stomatopod species range in a variety of colours from brown to yellow to purple. Different species usually have different colour patterns that are unique to their species. Lysiosquillina maculate are found in the Indo-Pacific region from Hawaii and Galapagos to East Africa. In the wild they inhabit “U” shaped burrows in which they wait in ambush for soft bodied prey like fish to pass over head. Like other “spearers,” Lysiosquillina maculate live in burrows dug into soft substrates such as sand or mud. Lysiosquillina maculate live in intertidal regions where the sand bed could be exposed to air or submerged up to 10 meters. Adult Lysiosquillina maculate form monogamous pairs. In comparison to Lysiosquillina maculate, Gonodactylaceus falcatus is a “smasher” who inhabits dead branching coral heads as well as other crevices in solid rock. Similar to Lysiosquillina maculate, Gonodactylaceus falcatus inhabits intertidal zones where water could be meters above the sea substrate or have the sand bed exposed to air during low tide. Gonodactylaceus falcatus inhabits between French Polynesia and the red sea. They have also been introduced by humans to Hawaii and surrounding areas. Scientists believe this species only reproduces twice a year. Members of the genus Gonodactylaceus have an absence of spines on their dactylus. Dactylus is the club some stomatopods. The genus Gonodactylaceus only contains “smashers.”

References
Ahyong, S., Lowry, J. (2001). Stomatopoda: Families. Version 1: 1Retreived November 10, 2008 from. http://www.crustacea.net
Bertler, J. (2007). Colour Vision and Communication in Aquatic Environments. Retrieved December 27, 2008 from http://ilc00f.facbacs.uq.edu.au/VTHRC/ecovis/stomatopods.htm

Caldwell, R., Fox, H. (Date). Secrets of the Stomatopod: An Underwater Research Adventure. Retrieved November 10, 2008 from http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/aquarius/index.html

Carlton, J., DeFelice, R.,Eldredge, L. (2001). A Guide book of introduced marine species to Hawaii: Hawaii biological survey 2001.
http://www2.bishopmuseum.org/HBS/invertguide/species/gonodactylus_falcatus.htm

Englemann,J., Hegner,W. (1968). Invertebrate Zoology: Second Edition. New York.

Fitzgerald, K. (2004). Grzimek’s Animal life Encyclopedia (Volume 2 pp164-175). Detroit: Gale Cengage Learning

International Wildlife Encyclopedia: Third Edition (Volume 11 pp. 1551-1552). New York: Marshall Cavendish Corporation.

Manning, R. (1995). Stomatopods., 828-831.

Poore, G. (2004).Marine Decapod Crustacea of Southern Australia: A guide to Identicacation. Australia: CSIRO Publishing.

Yi, K. (2001). Squillia Empusa. Retrieved December 27, 2008 from
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Squilla_empusa.html.

First off, what kind of biology class is this for? Is this high school, undergrad, grad?
From the looks of it I would assume that it's for a high school general biology class (not advanced placement).
You have a lot of typos and the organization is out of wack. Read it out loud and you'll see what I'm talking about. Have someone else read it out loud as well, often times when you read something that you have written it sounds great and well structured. By having someone else read it, you will get an unbiased response.
Sorry if I sound harsh but whenever I proof read for someone I give it straight and blunt.
Best of luck with the paper.

Having just finished grading a couple of dozen term papers, reading two PhD dissertations, proofing a manuscript and completing a grant proposal, I'm not sure why I read this and I certainly will not re-write it. I find it interesting that students will so freely ask for perfect strangers to comment on assignments.

Anyway, having read it, I will make some general comments. First, there are way too many spelling mistakes and improper uses of terminology. Most of the facts are correct, although you should look at the paragraph on reproduction and larval development. There are some major errors. My major complaint is the organization, particularly the ending. Ask yourself what you are trying to get across to the reader. Here you have strung together a lot of facts about taxonomy and anatomy and when you get to the end, it reads as if you had some notes on ecology, applied biology, etc. left over and threw them in. When all of your points were on paper, you quit. There is no conclusion.

Try to put into the paper what excites you about stomatopods, why would anyone care about them, how are they unique, what do they tell us about how evolution operates, what is the connection between anatomy, physiology, ecology and behavior --- etc.

Roy

October 6, 2005

yes high school bio. I do agree with the stucture and will try to fix it before its final. Spelling ilso need to fix as well has having other people i know proof read since i know what im tying to say, but as just shown some of you may not get what i am saying and there is no point in saying somethign that nobody understands.

I was kindof thinking that i might of had some mistakes on the stages of larval development and touught generally i didnt even name the stages wright. I would rather have an essay torn up that i can fix then somebody say good job when they know it wasnt so thaks for the suggestions.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14042529#post14042529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gonodactylus
I find it interesting that students will so freely ask for perfect strangers to comment on assignments.

In my opinion, strangers dont know you so they are more willing to give you a truthful answer. rather then a bs answer from a friend that doesnt want to insult you. Sure i wont take their word just becasue they said it , however it can lead to further changes and research to make sure they are actually correct in what they say.

Here are a few more specific suggestions:
Concerning the area of structure, I would group taxonomy first and then go with anatomy and physiological structures and their uses including their evolutionary record, followed by giving a few examples of specific specimens, finally ending with their relevance to man and their place in marine aquariums.
I wouldn't worry much about punctuation, if it's a biology class all they will care about grammer wise is spelling and if it makes sense.

So that is why I spend more time correcting punctuation and grammar when reading my students' dissertations than I do going over the ideas.

Roy

I meant in high school and undergrad courses. One of my lab instructors specifically told the class one time not to worry about punctuation. Maybe all teachers aren't like this but for the most part in the lower level classes this is what I've come across. Of course I've heard that once you get into grad school then it's on in terms of actually being professional in your writing. Most instructors just don't care at the undergrad level though and especially in high school (unless it's English).

I wouldn't worry much about punctuation, if it's a biology class all they will care about grammer wise is spelling and if it makes sense.

As a former biology instructor, I have to take issue with this. Grammar and punctuation are absolutely important! Learning to communicate effectively and properly in writing are key skills that will serve you all of your life.

You are basing your comments about "most" instructors at the high school and undergraduate level on very bad advice you got from one instructor. Not good reasoning. Maybe some of these teachers you refer to "gave up" but it's absolutely not all right not to proofread, organize, properly spell and punctuate any kind of work for class. Instructors that tell you otherwise are doing students a disservice, and are doing a very poor job of preparing you for the work world. You should be accurate in your writing, to the best of your abilities on any assignment, cover letter, resume, etc.

As a manager, I'll always hire the person who can communicate clearly, logically and properly over someone else, all else being equal. Sloppy writing can often be taken for, and is often a sign of, sloppy thinking.

Well I'm glad there are still instructors that care about punctuation and writing skills. I find it very unusual that you (Lisa) take such a firm stance on this issue as I rarely speak with instructors that care about grammar unless it's an English teacher. I agree that communication skills are vital for anyone, reguardless of their occupation. Unfortunately the simple truth is that most teachers, at least in my region, have little to no passion for their profession. I can count the number of instructors that have had a deep impact on my education and ideology on one hand. You may disagree with my generalized statement but IME most teachers just don't care. This is very troubling because the role of educational instructors is by far one of the most important "jobs" anyone could attempt. I'm not basing that statement on one instructor, I'm basing it on my experiences as a student over the course of years. I would say roughly 70% of instructors I've encountered should have been fired. I've had teachers show up drunk to class. Teachers that didn't know the difference between President Wilson and President Hover. I've completed all the history courses that are required for my major and I've never been taught anything concerning the Cold War and past that time. I mean it goes on and on. We've opened up a whole new can of worms concerning education. I wasn't saying that grammar and punctuation are not important. I was saying that most instructors don't care about grammar rules anymore. I really hope this kid writes a piece of gramatical perfection with this paper, more power to people like you Lisa that reject the idea that students shouldn't care about punctuation. It's just that IMO you are in the minority and that's scary.
Anyway, that being cleared up, are there anymore suggestions for this student's paper? Is there a better order than I've suggested for him/her to use?
What are the specifics in terms of direction that the instuctor gave you?

thanks for your help
I have edited it and fixed a ton of spelling mistakes and some mistakes in general. I do agree that spelling is important since nobody would even take you seriously if you spelling is constanly wrong. It will deffinitly be fixed before the final essay goes in which is soon. One question however, i got it from an unanswered thrend lower on the current mantis shrimp section page.

Why do male mantis shrimp need two penis'? What are the benifits?

I created a thread on it but nobody chimed in with an answer. Someone said it was because the females have two gonopores or something to that effect. Hopefully Roy can give a definative answer.

I'm afraid I don't have a definitive answer. Yes, females have two gonopores, but I'm not sure that both gonopods are inserted at the same time. I have tried blocking one gonopod with super glue and the male did switch to mating with the side that had a functioning gonopod, so redundancy in the face of damage is a possibility. However, conducted a study once charting the locations of wounds to N. bredini Panama and out out thousands of wounds recorded, none were to the gonopods. My guess is that of phylogenetic constraint and symmetry.

Roy

Interesting. There still are so many questions that science has yet to answer, I find this very encouraging for anyone who has an interest in seeking out truth in this world. Knowing that there are so many things that even the experts do not understand gives me a sense of interest in what is still out there to be found.
Are both gonopores necessary for females to reproduce?
Have you ever tried to block a gonopore in a female?
Is there any other marine organism which has this same feature?
Is there a machine or some type of dye that you could use to chart the progression of the male's sperm through the female?
I would assume that there would be some type of radioactive tracer that could be used to detect the path of sperm from insertion to conception but I know that you (Roy) have probably tried or heard of all of these proposals before. I'm just wondering if any of these methods have been attempted yet.
Btw thanks for the speedy reply.

Back