WT build fuge w/ skimmer help

Drag Racer

Going to build a fuge for my small tank and need to know what order is best to have everything go?

LR rubble -> cheato -> skimmer
Skimmer -> LR rubble -> cheato
Skimmer -> cheato -> LR rubble

Or any other way it should go?
Any comments would be helpful.

I would integrate chaeto and rock together so you get skimmer, fuge, return. And the order is really up to you just dont have it so that the refugium is before the skimmer (after or separate is perfectly fine). Wiz ;)

Yeah I suppose. What Im worried is stuff building up in the fuse area. I hope to start this project this weekend. Have all the stuff I need to do it.

I second fishwiz's reccomendation of fuge after the skimmer...
and my I suggest a pre-filter sock in lieu of filter floss...
very easy to maintain & certainly cheaper in the long run :D

Yeah I suppose. What Im worried is stuff building up in the fuse area. I hope to start this project this weekend. Have all the stuff I need to do it.

That will happen no matter what, the only solution is to get your butt in there and clean it or have a good CUC, and unfortunately my butt's been in mine :p :D Wiz ;)

Now I just have to work out the design. Man I can see it in my head but am having a hard time drawing it out. Most the time I just wing these things.

Make sure you leave plenty of room for a skimmer that you may upgrade later. Also, make sure the skimmer goes in a chamber that keeps a constant level of water.

Now I just have to work out the design. Man I can see it in my head but am having a hard time drawing it out. Most the time I just wing these things.

LMK if you need a sample, i think i got a pic of my sump in my photobucket somewhere...

Thanks wiz. But this is actually for a nano. I took down my 55gal and had a sump set up but now I want to put a fuge on the back side of the nano to hold the rock rubble, cheato and possably a small simmer. I want to DIY all of it because I enjoy building stuff. Been reading about nano skimmers all week and want to try and make one myself. If the skimmer works great, if not no big loss.

Back