WTB 5 gallon ato reservoir

Thank you both. I’m currently using a Tupperware contraption as an ato. The problem is it has to sit on the outside of the stand and what I have now looks a little sloppy. I was hoping somebody had a used Ato laying around they wanted to get rid of.

Great find, I currently use two 2.5 gallon containers with a daisy chain of tubing, this will help simplify my setup! Thanks!

Thank the Walmart employee that sent me to the camping section when I asked about those blue 5g water jugs. :)

I stand by my Home Depot Bucket.

Read the reviews: NOT for long term storage

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Desert-Patrol-6-Gal-Water-Jug/16537207

5/23/2017
Average rating:1out of5stars, based onreviews
by yepyepyep
I own one of these among various water containers, this is the only one that has lost its structural integrity. after about 6 months of holding water it has begun to leak on the bottom corner from the weight stress of the water inside. These can are ok for short term camping / emergency usage but nothing else. The spouts are nice but the material is thin and not strong enough for duty use and or storage.

got a 5 gallon glass tank - Petco has dollar per gallon sale every once a while. I use a 10 gallon tank as one of my ATO reservoir, with a lid.

got a 5 gallon glass tank - Petco has dollar per gallon sale every once a while. I use a 10 gallon tank as one of my ATO reservoir, with a lid.

Glass tanks for $10 + Tax work as well, but you need a lid to prevent evaporation/contamination which raises the price. - Home Depot Bucket with lid, $5 at Home Depot. Did I mention the Home Depot Bucket, with Lid, for $5? - Spray paint it to make it look cool, whatever, $5, Will probably NEVER fail. Just Sayin...

Last edited:
Glass tanks for $10 + Tax work as well, but you need a lid to prevent evaporation/contamination which raises the price. - Home Depot Bucket with lid, $5 at Home Depot. Did I mention the Home Depot Bucket, with Lid, for $5? - Spray paint it to make it look cool, whatever, $5, Will probably NEVER fail. Just Sayin...

In south Florida the sun will rot the bucket pretty quick if it is any were near the window. Ask me how I know. BTW it never happens when it is empty or near empty.

A question about those hardware store buckets, would they leach any chemicals over time? Should we be using food grade containers? I am asking because I tend to battle algae on a regular basis and corals are not thriving. Water quality is good, GFO running, carbon running, new bulbs, good flow, ro/di filters good. I am wondering if its my home depot ro reservoir that may be leaching something into the water.

Last edited:
I use one of these for my ato reservoir. Have been using the same container for years without leaks. Holds 4.4gallons.

Nature's Ocean Nutri-SeaWater Natural Live Ocean Saltwater, 4.4 gallons, White

Back