WTB: Dry sand

drpo21

Reefer Enthusiast
anyone know where I can get some. So far I looked at petsmart and it's 30 lbs for $20 or something like that. I heard of someone on here that sells it for something like 40 lbs for $15. I need about 200 lbs.

Thanks,

Aren't you in FL? There has got to be a wholesale place that will sell you argonite sand for cheap. Or you could get some right off the beach, but I don't know how safe it is on the shore.

Look in the yellow pages under wholesale sand.

I heard its not good to pick it up from the beach. there is all sorts of things in the sand.

I can't get wholesale unless I know someone (don't have a wholesale license)

Thanks though

i used pool filter sand from any pool supply store for years without any issues in my last tank. 50lbs for like $8-11. I used about 150lbs of this stuff and then about 50lbs of aragonite to seed it. worked perfectly.

as for beach sand, not sure if its legal to collect but if it is Im sure its not an issue to use it as long as you sift it and then maybe bleach it. The problem for me is that the shore sand is so fine that many PH's will blow it all over the tank.

Aaron, check out eco-reef on Atlantic and tell him that you are a member of FMAS. He sells dry sand at $15. per 30# bag then gives you a discount on top of that.

cool, ill check eco-reef, always wanted to check that store out anyways, thanks for the recommendation

don't know about the pool filter sand, sounds interesting, any study on it?

I might have a few bags of southdown playsand left. They were 50# bags if I remember correctly. PM me if your interested.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15426488#post15426488 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdg
I might have a few bags of southdown playsand left. They were 50# bags if I remember correctly. PM me if your interested.

is that the sand u get at home depot? is it reefsafe? i think its like 3.79 for a 50#. seems too good to be true.

Nope. Definitely not home depot sand. The sand at home depot is play sand and has been treated. From what i understand pool filter sand is actually an aragonite sand used for PH in pools so it can also help to buffer a marine tank. I know it is used much more widely in FW aquaria.

I'm sure a search on RC would turn up some stuff. I'd be interested in some studies as well since maybe I just got lucky for a few years.

Also, it's a bit darker in color than most reef sands.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15426500#post15426500 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drpo21
is that the sand u get at home depot? is it reefsafe? i think its like 3.79 for a 50#. seems too good to be true.

Not all Home Depot's carry the right stuff. I had to order a pallet from a store in the NE and have it shipped down here awhile back. This is the argonite sand, not the silica stuff.

I'm not sure how many bags I have left, I might have a few hundred pounds. If you're interested, PM me and I'll check tomorrow.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15425521#post15425521 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drpo21
I heard its not good to pick it up from the beach. there is all sorts of things in the sand.

just do a RODI soak

Back