Xenia fragging

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean1

Is it posible to fragg a xenia by cutting a polyp and stem off and resting it on another peice of live rock? Also how long should it take for a xenia to bud naturally? I've had one for many weeks and can see no sign of growth whatsoever.

tekknoschtev

I believe it would be possible, technically, but I think you'll find that it'll be difficult to manage with just the polyp. They shrink up incredibly small when bugged, and it'd be difficult, in my opinion, to manage a single polyp.

As for the growth - it may take some time for the coral to settle in before it starts exploding in growth. I think it also highly depends on your setup - sometimes, xenia is a weed, and other times, it just either stalls in growth or withers away and dies.

Jorge MAnuel

Hi sean1:
Yes it is possible to cut only one polyp. I do it all time. After cut I put the polyp in a box with crushed coral on the bottom. After one week I take out the polyp with a small piece of rock and glue it to where I want.

hamburglar

sean1

After they start growing in your tank, you could probably propagate them with a blender :)

Just let that one sit until you see it splitting and growing more stalks on it's own. This may take a while. Some of my species settled within 2-3 weeks, but my white species took 6 months before it started growing.

sufunk

I agree with hamburgler. Sometimes they may take a while to start splitting. One frag i bought started splitting right away. Another from a different store took nearly 3 months to split the 1st time. In the 3 months after that it went from 2 to about 25. All parameters and lighting were the same, it just wouldn't start splitting for a while:confused:

Serioussnaps

Xenia is in a weird way kind of like macroalgae. It needs some nutrients to grow. It is my believe it feeds off things like nitrates. The more nutrients in your tank, the more it will grow. This is why some people use Xenia in their refugium. Try an experiment, i am positive it will work, turn your skimmer off for a week or so and watch it start growing. Do a water change and turn skimmer back on and watch the growth will still be there , but less.

Maverick27

actually st taylor is right, once they start splitting they will spread everywhere. I have them in my 30g now. Great coral i love it, but i need to start selling some to a LFS or something along those lines, as beautiful as they are, i would like to add other corals to my tank and they take up alot of real estate once they spread. They all still pulse unbelievably, looks like a bunch of fireworks going off ( knock on wood )

Wondering if anyone knows how to take frags of xenia and take them out of the tank...i have about 5-6 individual polyps i want to take out and was wondering if you could maybe cut or pull them off from the base... would like to take them out without ripping out the rocks there stuck too..

coralcat

In Memoriam
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7539314#post7539314 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralcat
Go to www.garf.org it will show you how to frag the right way for xenia, and other

Don't any of you read?????. You all keep asking the same questions on xenia. Go to the above link. Read, follow......

rustybucket145

Kinda pushy aren't you 'coralcat'. Chances are that almost everyone here has been to garf.org and read about the way they propagate xenia. The fact is that there is more than one way to cook a steak. Some of the methods that garf discusses may work great for some people and not so great for others. The main purpose of this forum is for people to discuss new techniques that have worked for them and share the methods so others may try them. I personally think garfs method of xenia propagation is too much work and I would rather not have a bridal veil bag hanging in my tank for weeks at a time. I'm sure everyone read your first post hailing garf as the prophet of coral propagation and about them doing it the RIGHT WAY. The fact is that there is no Right way and there is no need for you to reiterate your narrow-mindedness by reposting your alligance to them.

Last edited:

coralcat

In Memoriam
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7588415#post7588415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
Kinda pushy aren't you 'coralcat'. Chances are that almost everyone here has been to garf.org and read about the way they propagate xenia. The fact is that there is more than one way to cook a steak. Some of the methods that garf discusses may work great for some people and not so great for others. The main purpose of this forum is for people to discuss new techniques that have worked for them and share the methods so others may try them. I personally think garfs method of xenia propagation is too much work and I would rather not have a bridal veil bag hanging in my tank for weeks at a time. I'm sure everyone read your first post hailing garf as the prophet of coral propagation and about them doing it the RIGHT WAY. The fact is that there is no Right way and there is no need for you to reiterate your narrow-mindedness by reposting your alligance to them.

Alligance, not, raised THOUSANDS of xenia, yes, hanging bag, no. Vail on plugs,yes. does it work, yes. cooking a steak....... priceless, so are there more than one way, you bet. the post was ment as an additional education source. I'm glad youve been there, maybe others have not. Pushy, i'll think about that I'll even give you that and I mayl apologise. Narrow-mindedness, no, when you can put out 50 plus pieces a day, as I did, well I think it is a good source. Now what ever ANYONE does with any information is there call. and I Quote "The main purpose of this forum is for people to discuss new techniques that have worked for them and share the methods so others "

jman77

Coral chill man....

plus... putting out 50 pieces of xenia a day is not really something to really brag about. Now if your talking about yumas....then we need to talk... hahahah

Status
Not open for further replies.