Xenia

memorysan

I was reading a thread on here about Xenia, and from what I read it seems to be real hardy and real easy to keep...so on to my question:

I was planning a FOWLR, but I'm thinking that a pulsing Xenia background to the tank would be really cool.

Is it as easy to keep as I am thinking it is? Would it be O.K. with the lighting I have? Would it be O.K. with the fish I plan to get?

In other words, with what I already have planned, would this be a good idea?

To see what I have planned, click on the red house at the top of this post (better than trying to put it all in this thread).

Why not?
Just to let you know.Some folks don't have very good luck with xenia.And other hobbyist have it grow like a wild fire.
I have a rock that it's seperated from the rest of my LR.
Looks like you've done your homework.

I find it to be the opposite then what you read here.

I have had great success and growth with SPS, LPS, zoas but when i put xenia in they seems to do well for about a month then whither.

For some reason i cannot keep them alive. ive tried twice thinking the first was a flook but... I think they are kind of hit or miss. I dont think they are a set it in the tank and forget it kind of softy.

I just had question about the OP stocking list. Is it really ok to add a Coral Beauty Angel to a reef tank??? I thought dwarf and large angels are both not worth attempting

Well, I was planning on a FOWLR...the Xenia was an afterthought...looking for advice as to whether it would work or not? If not the Xenia would be taken out of the planning. I'm not planning on going full reef.

Chago09,

Yes dwarf angels are hit or miss.I have a Coral beauty in my tank that is mostly softies/LPS.It hasn't once nipped any coral.

I'd give it a try,what do you have to loose?
Most local reefers will gladly give you some if they're have it grow like crazy in there tanks.

I to hve a coral beuaty in my mixed tankit it has been fine for 6mo. now. Zoo's xenia mixed mushrooms all with no problem.

Xenia likes a lot of light and strong random flow. Your website didn't work so I couldn't tell what your lighting was. As previously stated, some grow zenia like mad and others can't keep it alive.

Lisa

memorysan - id say go for it - it would definetly be a nice addition to a FOWLR additiong some nice interesting life and who knows maybe ur take will grow them like crazy! Good luck :)

Back