xenias are very hard to ship!

floridareefs

Tried to ship xenia to a fellow reefer in Texas overnight two times and both times it died. Guess I can't do that anymore

I tried to ship some a few times as well. Died every time, gets to the destination as mush basically.. That is why I have a bunch sitting in my sump now, dont want to flush them, but dont know what to do with them, they are fragged on the rubble.... sigh....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7810882#post7810882 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PJSEA
Some people use a technique that hangs Xenia upside down from a piece of styrofaom inside the plastic bag.
Here's a link:
http://www.garf.org/news8p3.html

That's how all my corals are shipped in from my suppliers. Xenia for some reason is hard to ship.

Last edited:
And the guy wants me to send him more.. good greef! Maybe I will try the styro foam application. I hate to leave the guy hanging, even though I gave him zoos, fiji and pink birds nest frags.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7811367#post7811367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by floridareefs
And the guy wants me to send him more.. good greef! Maybe I will try the styro foam application. I hate to leave the guy hanging, even though I gave him zoos, fiji and pink birds nest frags.

I have pleanty of foam here & stryofoam shipping boxes if you want to ome by & get them

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7810809#post7810809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pjhaddock
I tried to ship some a few times as well. Died every time, gets to the destination as mush basically.. That is why I have a bunch sitting in my sump now, dont want to flush them, but dont know what to do with them, they are fragged on the rubble.... sigh....

When your getting them ready to ship, put them in a boal of tank water,swish them around a little, they will close AND slime, in a ninute, dip them in another boal of fresh tank water to rinse, then ship. There own sliming kills them. Good luck

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7810809#post7810809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pjhaddock

I'll take some of those off your hands.
I want to see if I can grow them in my sump for nutrient export.

I have become an expert at shipping xenia- I have tried the styro and yes it is more successful but usually the branches rip off for some reason. I have found the only successful way to ship xenia is if it is well attached to something. Also you have to put a layer of cheato floating on top of the water in the bag so that the xenia doesnt reach air while it is getting to the destination. I think Coral Cat is right the slime melts them. This cheato keeps the xenia from sliming too bad and probably absorbs some of the slime as well. I have shipped all the way to New Mexico no problems. Carrie

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7816332#post7816332 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by grochmal
I'll take some of those off your hands.
I want to see if I can grow them in my sump for nutrient export.

Sure, you can have some! What nutrients would they export? If that is the case I will go ahead and leave some in my sump, but u are welcome to have some....

Well, I've heard of people doing that because Xenia seems to grow faster in a higher nutrient (ie nitrate) environment and I am attempting to find a way to lower mine.
Everything else I've tried hasn't helped (water changes, macro algae, etc) so I'm willing to try it out.

Got ya, I remember reading the same many times now that you mention it!!! My nitrates are always non detectable, my xenia USED to grow like weeds months ago before I got a handle on the trates, so I believe you may be right... I am thinking that you are the guy that works over off Southside near CompUSA right??? Options for meeting would be either after 5 at Shands Hospital (part time job) all day in Avondale (full time job) or ~9 or so off 130rd street (home) Also I work all weekend at Shands... Let me know!!!

One thing I noticed about Xenia is that if you have cyano in your tank, it's always worse right around where the Xenia sits. Its like the Xenia is a cyano magnet! :rolleyes:

Back