Xp2000-sss water depth range

mikoz

Hi,

The instructions for this skimmer indicate about 5.5" is optimal.
I have it in a Trigger Ruby where the water level is 10", I've used spacers to bring it up to about 7". Getting to less than 7" is a real problem given the space under the stand.

Does anyone have any experience running this skimmer at this depth range (~ 7")?

Thanks!

Mine as well worked best at 5.5" makes it easier to adjust. The vendor I got mine from rocommended placing it between 5 and 6" of water. Before I was at 8 and it would continually overflow.

Hi,
Thanks all.

Apart from ease of adjustment, what are the potential issues with running a skimmer an inch to 1.5 inches above the recommended optimal range?

Does it, for example:
1. reduce the efficiency of the skimmer?
2. make it more prone to overflow (I know that it's at a 10", for example, depth it WILL overflow).
3. warrant getting a different skimmer and selling this one? Since I don't have the under cabinet vertical height to get the depth down to ~5.5", I would have to seek a skimmer that's more at home in the native 10" depth or something closer to 7-10".

What's interesting is that, on occasion, when I empty out the collection cup and fire the skimmer back up it will immediately overflow, I have to back off the valve half a turn and then slowly bring it back to where it was. Is this perhaps a by-product of the 7" depth?

Is it just me or why are there no self-regulating skimmers out there? Can't a skimmer be made to regulate the water height automatically?

Is it just me or why are there no self-regulating skimmers out there? Can't a skimmer be made to regulate the water height automatically?

No, it's entirely impossible. Or at least not a good idea. The water height is dependent on both the water flow through and air bubble draw. Changes in either one will require you to change the height. A factory set, non-adjustable skimmer would be a disaster. A couple things that will affect air size, bubble quality, and flow rate are salinity, amount of organics in the water, and time since the last cleaning of the pumps and airline. Additionally, there is enough variability in the manufacturing process that not all pumps behave exactly the same. We compensate for EVERYTHING by adjusting the water level slightly up or slightly down.

If you want a skimmer that is at least independent of sump water height, look into recirculating skimmers. But you still need to adjust the water height IN the skimmer itself.

FB

I'll add a bit more on the self adjust skimmer idea because I've always found some aspects of it exciting. I used to own several Euro-reef skimmer that used a stand pipe instead of the now common practice of gate valves. Gate valves adjust the height of the skimmer by changing the restriction of the outflow of the skimmer. More restriction means more water height. I never liked this because as you get small changes in the flow rate through the pump, because of dirtying or salt accumulation in the airline, you drastically change the water flow and thus water height in the skimmer body. With the non-restricing stand-pipe design, the water level external to the skimmer is locked in place by your ATO and the level IN the skimmer is locked in place by the height of the standpipe. It's independent of the pumps flow rate (within reason). In theory it seems very self-regulating. In practice, you end up adjusting them just as often, likely due to subtle changes in air draw or changes in the chemistry of your water. In all, it still needs to be adjusted.

FWIW, some skimmers require less adjusting and are regarded as more stable and others are known to be disasters. With the reef octopus, you bought a highly regarded stable skimmer. Set it at the proper height and give it a few weeks to break in. You'll adjust it much less over time.

FB

I finally got rid of the xp2000sss super reef octopus skimmer. There are a few problems with it:
1. I cannot provide 6 inches of water depth in my setup. I tried to make this work for too long, I kept getting overflows at 7.5 inches. This is probably my fault from the beginning.

2. The seal between the pump and the chamber grew increasingly looser. I started getting micro bubbles in the skimmer chamber, had ineffective skimming and more overflows.

In the end, I feel it wasn't a great product in my application and the seal design is poor, the motor constantly pulls down and tries to separate the motor from the housing...and my efforts to support the motor didn't help.

I went with the regal 200. It took only 2 hours before it started to function and produce skimmate. I was also able to remove a few risers and lower the skimmer into the sump more such that it's sitting in 8 inches..this also gives me more vertical clearance. It was extremely difficult though getting it into the left chamber of the trigger system sump, it took about 10 tries to find the right angle and I had to do the assembly of the base to the stand in the water of the sump. After only one day I've got half a container full of "coffee" :). Obviously the old skimmer wasn't very effective.

Back