y does lime water do this?

customcolor

im using mrs wags in a diy reactor. well i was. the first one i made cracked at the bottom and the new one i made(worked even better than the first) was cracking too.
first one was made out of a clear rubbermade food container. second was made out of pvc and a polycarbonit seeing window. the window on the second is what cracked after only 2 days. is it the polycarbonite? i would have thought it would have worked. does it have to be acrylic????

I have no idea what would cause the polycarb to crack with lime. Maybe that is another could reason to not use polycarb and to use acrylic instead.

What do you have mixing the kalk?

Kim

lime water in concentrated form produces alot of heat when mixed with water---could then be stressing out the materials by heating them and then they crack when cooled

Are you sure about that capn? I know that calcium oxide will produce heat when water is added (at first), but one that first mixing is done I did not think any other heat was produced. If he is using calcium hydroxide like most kalk mixes on the market, I does not produce any heat.

Kim

this is my slow mix kauk stirrer. i use 2 mag scrapers (one in and one out) slowly mixing the kauk 24 hours aday so its alway at full saturation.<BR>
mixxer.jpg

I don't use kalk right now but when I did I stored it in clear 5 gallon plastic water bottles. It cracked the bottoms of those as well, it took a while but eventually when there was water on the floor under the bottle closer examination revealed the crack(s)... Definately not heat related... BTW.

Tim:cool:

I don't use kalk right now but when I did I stored it in clear 5 gallon plastic water bottles. It cracked the bottoms of those as well, it took a while but eventually when there was water on the floor under the bottle closer examination revealed the crack(s)... Definitely not heat related... BTW.

Tim:cool:

Back