Yea! I've created a new morph!

Fishindude88

First off... sorry no pics for now. When it spreads I will post some as it is at a tough angle and don't want to move it.

About 2 months ago, a couple of atomic green zoas blew off a rock and were lost in my frag tank. A couple weeks later, I found a polyp and glued it to a plug, but when it opened, it only did so halfway and it was clear it was all bleached out (I mean as pale white as can be, not a bit of green left). I thought for sure it would die, but over the course of a month or so, it slowly started to color in and open more.

As of now, I think it is done morphing and getting ready to spread. It is similar to tubbs blue, but it is a lighter blue with a very white mouth. The skirt is the same kind of brown though. Pretty cool huh?

That is cool! I always wondered how that gal got the hypermorphs. :lol: Now we know... the Fishindude methodology. :D

I wouldn't be upset if it did, but it is cool the way it is now. It looks 100% different, there isn't anything the same with this morph that there is with the original. Being the the hobby for about a year and a half, this is the first time something like this has happened to me. It's exciting! I'm enjoying the fruits of my labor :)

do you have any other polyps it could be? maybe it was something else before. might check zoaID to see if you can find one like it. could have also been a hitchhiker.

but if it is a new one thats pretty dang sweet

I know for sure it was originally an atomic green. It was the only polyp in my frag tank at the time. It looks kind of like tubbs blue, it is just a lighter blue with a bright white mouth. It may or may not have black stripes too (too early to tell for sure).

pointlesswithoutpics1.jpg

lol okay i understand the need for pics. It is really at a bad angle though, up in a corner on my frag rack. I would rather not touch it, but I will see what I can do...

Okay, this is the best I can do with my camera. It is a little bluer than pictured, but as you can see, not a bit green!

196206IMG_0425.jpg

That is awesome...I have never seen a zoanthid morph into the something like a big finger nail...I'd call it a "Tom Thumb" zoa!!!!

Just kidding ...that is a cool looking blue. Give it some time and see what she does.

I don't think bleaching constitutes as creating a new morph, imo. I'm kinda confused by this thread to be honest.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14589651#post14589651 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kigs
I don't think bleaching constitutes as creating a new morph, imo. I'm kinda confused by this thread to be honest.

Perhaps the mouth is bleached still, I hope it colors nicely, but I was thinking the rest was just a new color morph. Keep in mind the bleaching was accidental.

I will keep posting pics as it spreads/morphs :)

Back