Yeah!!!! My first oh crap moment!!

bamf25

So I decided to follow some advice I had seen here, and take some saltwater from my DT to use in my QT to be sure that there was 0 ammonia in it. So I siphon of about 5 gallons from my DT and replace it with some fresh saltwater I have in a 18 gallon tote. I get it just about right, let the system run for a few minutes to see if I need a little more to get back to my fill line, and I do. At this point I proceed to partially tip over the tote spilling 3 to 4 gallons of water on the floor. I run upsatairs to get towels, and begin sopping up water. After parially cleaning up, I realize my pants and socks are soaked so I take them off a few doors down from my bedroom (I am home alone and in work clothing). At that very moment, pantless, the doorbell rings for an appointment I had set up this morning and forgotten about. So there I stand wet, partially dressed, and wet towels all over my floor. It was a proud moment for me.

Anyways, things cleaned up just fine, and everything worked out great, but yes my first oh crap moment of reefing.

Last edited:
At some point most of us have an "oh crap" moment but, not with our pants off. Thanks for the laugh glad everything worked out ok.

:spin1:Better to lose a little dignity than to lose some livestock! lol These things happen to the best of us!

Hahaha, me and my girlfriend just started our first reef tank.
We're just patiently waiting for a moment like this to happen :p

Hahaha, me and my girlfriend just started our first reef tank.
We're just patiently waiting for a moment like this to happen :p

Better get it done now before you get married.....after the ring goes on her finger the floor being wet with SW is no longer funny, and your pants won't be off very often.....:wavehand:

Better get it done now before you get married.....after the ring goes on her finger the floor being wet with SW is no longer funny, and your pants won't be off very often.....:wavehand:

You make a good point Chris27, hahaha. Luckily I won't be getting married JUST yet! So I have time to ruin carpeting and not wear pants :celeb1:

My floors are actually hardwood, plus the area under the tank, I have a waterproof carpet. In this case the hardwood made cleanup easy. I forgot to mention, I was forced to answer the door with the wet pants (from the knees down) and no socks. No harm and the wife does not know yet, but she will think it is funny as hell since no damage was done.

I had an incident with a temporary HOB filter flooding out the back. I was sitting around in my rugby shorts and management walked in saying there was water coming through the floor below. Strange looks and a muttered "nice tank".

Back