Yellow Coris

Reef NuTTZ

Hi All,

I just purchased a yellow coris today and its the first wrasse I have ever kept. Now heres the strange thing, After about 2 mins in my tank, I see a cloud of sand and he disappeared :eek: I have been looking around but hes no where to be found. Well its been a few hours now with the lights off and I still don't see him any where. Should I worry or is this normal behavior for this type of fish? Maybe he bumped into a rock while digging and some how got knocked unconscious?

Thanks in advance

Huy

They dive into the sand to hide. It'll reappear when it's comfortable in the tank (might take a few days).

I just added a Melanurus wrasse last week (same genus, different species). He did the same thing. I got to see him for about 5 seconds before he was gone. He finally emerged about 24 hours later. He will swim around until lights out, then hit the sand. For several days, he didn't emerge from the sand until early afternoon each day, now he is up and about by mid-morning.

happened to me when i got a yellow coris wrasse. never saw him again after he buried. probably died in the sand.

Thanks for your replys. Ok so I just sit it out for a few days then. Just curious though, if they don't eat then how could they survive?

He'll come out when his hunger overcomes his fear. Then he'll learn that there's really nothing to fear and wake up and swim about like clockwork.

my coris, is like the tank alarm clock. wakes up every morning about 15 minutes before lights on. when the actinics are the only lights on he goes to bed, when i first got him he hid for like three days

ok day 2 and still dont see him :( He's not hidding in the rock work and I dont see him at night either. Been checking every hour or so after the lights went off but dont see any signs of him.

At this point there really isn't anything you can do but wait! he will not come out when the lights are off, they are only out during the day.

I hope your tank is fully covered?

Ok all my worrys are gone now :D I was outside painting the house, came back in and there he was swimming around. Thanks all for your help.

Huy :rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

Back