Yellow scopas tang

coralite

registered member
ALthough it isnt the rarest species, this specimen of yellow scopas tang was really neat. This is the first really yellow one I've seen and I am looking to get one myself. Anyone have experience with this variant of scopas? The actual color is between the appearance of the two images. This guy was a bit difficult to photograph, hence the mediocre pictures. Anyone know where they come from?
yellowscopas.jpg

yellowscopas2.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11616264#post11616264 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acrodave
Yellow and scopas are both zebrasoma so who is to say its not a hybrid

Geography does. Yellow tangs are endemic to Hawaii and they are the only Zebrasoma that occurs there.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11616290#post11616290 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralite
Geography does. Yellow tangs are endemic to Hawaii and they are the only Zebrasoma that occurs there.

Zebrasoma veliferum is found in Hawaii, but I agree that this is not a hybrid since the scopas isn't found there :).

Wow i cant believe that want that much more for just cause it yellow. A normal one only runs about 40$ were i live

they want more for it because they are rarer fish. They are not as common as a scopas or regular yellow. The fish above is awesome!

My bad, I always thought that Yellow tangs were endemic to Hawaii. The thing that struck me about the scopas I saw is that it really looked like a normal scopas. This specimen from live aquaria looks a lot more like a freak. Perhaps this one is actually a hybrid and the other one I posted is a natural yellow form of scopas. The one above cost half the price of what live aquaria is asking.
0108081-047.jpg

Back