Yellow Tail Damsel

Ronny#66

I've had two yellow tails for over a year . I came home tonight
and one is fanning the substrate . He or she has dug a trench at least an inch deep 8 inches long
into my 25 gal sank sand bed.I added 4 nasarious snails 2 days ago Why are they all at once tearing tank up sand all over everything. A mess!!

Ronny

purely speculation: I think they eat worms. The nassarius snails may have gotten the worms in the sandbed moving and the damsel noticed them and went to town.

Now What

Now What

How do you get them to stop this and how the heck do you clean off all the live rock . tried blowing it off with turkey baster worked somewhat still look like heck.

Ronny

How do you get them to stop this and how the heck do you clean off all the live rock . tried blowing it off with turkey baster worked somewhat still look like heck.

Ronny

LOL, my clown does this. There is a trench in the front of the tank where he hangs out. My starry blenny also does powerdives in the area and kicks up a bunch of sand. Its cool to watch, but the sand gets everywhere, LOL!

My clown does it too. Fortunately the trench is at the back of the tank behind the rock.

Why are they all at once tearing tank up sand all over everything. A mess!!

Well, your fish might be rewarding you with a soon to come spawning event. My group of Chrysiptera parasema (assuming that's what you mean by yellowtail damsel) do this regularly from time to time. They are digging a site to lay eggs:

DSC_0206.jpg

Update

Update

Well this morning I found that my power head had slipped down just a little bit changing the way water is deflected against front glass. i corrected this and filled in trench and the fish is acting normally. Your queses are as good as mine and yes the pic is same as my Damsel beautiful CHEAP fish . I blew off my rock with turkey baster with piece of plastic hose on end.

Ronny

Back