Yellow tail fang blenny help

ssavader

Chief, I had two Fang blennys and both died, unfortunately. One swam around and never ate until it perished, the other disappeared into the reef, never to be seen again. Here is the info on the YTFB from Vivid Aquarium.

"Maximum Length: 5 in.
Care Level: Moderate
Family: Blenniidae
Reef Compatibility: Excellent
Minimum Aquarium Size: 30 gal.
Range: Indo-Pacific
Diet: Omniivore
Water Conditions: 74-80° F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4

Notes:
Quite a striking blenny, the Forktail Blenny will provide dazzling streaks and spots of yellow and blue as it scoots from perch to perch around your aquarium looking for bits of food.

The Forktail Blenny has a venomous bite which it uses to deter potential predators from eating it. This fish actually bites the inside of the predators' mouth after it is swallowed causing the fish that ate it it spit it out. Pretty ingenious! Use caution if children may have their hands in the aquarium. The bite is usually no more painful than a bee sting.

Feed frozen carnivore and herbivore preparations containing finely chopped marine flesh, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and marine algae."

They say the care level is "moderate". I hope you have better luck w/yours. Post a pic and let us know how he is doing.

Amazon4

Premium Member
I had a canary blenny (I lost him to an ick outbreak after a tank move - the only loss). He spent all his time hunting pods. His stomach was always lumpy with his prey.

I don't recall if he ate much frozen. Don't think I ever saw him eat flake.

So I believe you need a healthy pod population to support these fish.

HTH

pontiac2002gtp

I have a canary blenny and a midas blenny they both eat anything i feed them try soaking the food before you feed it seems to help.