Yellow Tang Just Tripped my GFCI

preef

Thought I'd share my experience. Maybe it will prevent someone's tank crash in the future. It seems like we need to expect the unexpected to keep our tanks going.

My Yellow Tang likes to splash water out of one side of my tank pretty regularly. Splashes all over my TV, my subwoofer, and sometimes my son when playing on the Xbox.

A few minutes ago I heard him splash again. A few seconds later my GFCI tripped and my UPS for my tank started beeping. I looked at the wall and it was pretty wet. I saw there was water all over the main plug and GFCI outlet for my system.

This happened last week for the first time when my Apex emailed me that my tank lost power. My wife called to tell me that the lights were out on the tank and something was beeping. Resetting the GFCI fixed the problem then too.

I'll be running to Home Depot today to get one of those outdoor outlet covers to prevent the tang from nuking my tank in the future. This would have been a disaster if we were away on vacation. What if I didn't have a GFCI? Could have started a fire.

Thanks for the advice, once I get this far and possibly get a tang, or any other splasher. Ill have to look out for this :)

Why not make a splash gaurd on the tank saltwater outside the tank is bad for everything. Do you have enough rock and hiding places ? Maybe he freaks out cause he can't hide.

+1 fabricate some sort of splash guard for your own sanity, health, and safety (and your family's).

Thanks for the heads up. Not to hijack the thread, but is splashing by yellow tangs common? I have had one for a few months and have never noticed this. Of course, mine is kind of a wuss...

Making a splash guard for the front of the tank wouldn't really be an option. The outlet is on the side of the tank. I could make a splash guard for that side but I think it would be easier to buy an outlet cover for that side.

I have plenty of hiding spaces in the tank. I do have two powerheads on that side of the tank near the top. The strong flow there may freak him out.

Problem solved for $8.

IMG_5987.JPG

Back