yellow tang keepers speak out

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesyoung_31

In Memoriam
Yes picked one up and is in the 55. Doing excellent with lots of swimming room(2.5 inches). Will upgrade down the road, hopefully getting a 130 next year sometime. Thanks

Dino

Freak of Nature
Staff member
RC Mod
Your the one who keep insisting you want a tang on your 55 gallon tank and you got flamed by reefers.I hope you dint get one, police will be knocking on your door.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2069909

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers

Thanks for that link Kripas. :)

Yes picked one up and is in the 55. Doing excellent with lots of swimming room(2.5 inches). Will upgrade down the road, hopefully getting a 130 next year sometime. Thanks

So your reason for starting this thread is what again? :confused: To brag that you ignored all the advice you were given previously and put a tang in your 55 gallon that if I understand right you only set up two weeks ago?

:( I predict a lot of failure in your future unless you learn to:

1. Slow waaaaaaaay down.
2. Do a LOT more reading.
3. Listen to the advice given by much more experience reefers instead of fishing for the answer you want to hear.

olemiss reb

Molon Labe
This was posted on one of my local forums. While not a yellow tang, this is the result of keeping a tang in an undersized tank, if it lives this long.

This guy was rescued from a 90.
IMAG0555.jpg

FishAddict87

Wow so sad.....reef central has taught me a lot with appropriate fish for appropriate sized tanks which made me give my new lfs my clown tang and Niger trigger. First lfs who sold them to me said it would be fine. They were happy looking and in my 55 for 6 months nd grew a lot surprisingly but I knew deep inside that these beautiful fish needed a larger home to truly be happy. Giving them up was the worse part because my tank seemed lifeless. But I'm very happy to know my new lfs sold them to an owner who has a very large tank to accommodate their needs. As I learned from this forum, we are taking these fish from their natural habitat and pitting them into glass boxes. The ocean and a glass box is a huge difference. I stopped going to the first lfs btw. Hope u enjoyed my touching story lol =)

wencels

I'm glad that you listened to advice that others gave you. It's kind of sad that people have a thought process that it will never happen to them. Kind of like me when I was a teenager, I thought I'd never feel sore getting up in the morning. Then I got older.
Good for you!!

FishAddict87

I was just curious and was going to start a new thread but figured this might be a good place to ask this question...if the tank size for Tangs sticky says some tNgs can be kept in a 75 gallon 4 ft tank then y wouldn't those saMe Tangs work in a 55? I don't intend on putting a tang in my tank but just curious because everyone says no for a tang to go into a 4 ft tank but the sticky says different.

seafd

room to turn around in a 55 gal tank is pretty small (~12") in comparison to the wider 75 (~18"). That's really the only difference (and I'd be willing to bet the author of the sticky didn't intend for large tangs (growing greater than 7") to be housed in a 75).

kripas

So sad to hear that, your tank is so small and your tang will stress out and will die soon or later. Your tank was just setup few weeks ago.Did I mention if tang stress out there prone to ich?your tank will be ich festival. Wish you luck

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers

Daniel Reef

Sorry to hear that the OP purchased a yellow tang after having been told in another forum that his 55g tank should not house a tang. The sticky thread about tangs states that a yellow tang should have a minimum tank of 100 gallons. I guess the OP continues to disregard advice given to him. Hopefully, he will be honest enough to let RC reader know how the tang is doing and if something ends up happening to the tang or the rest of his fish should it get ich.

sandwi54

it's truly sad to know that the OP disregards the advice he received and comes here to show that he has the guts to do that. what's the point of that? you don't know us and we don't know you. we are all behind the computers and all we want to do is helping other people do the right thing. bragging online about doing the wrong thing only makes you look immature and childish.

the problem with keeping fish in a tank too size is that it's usually a long-term effect and not something immediately. it may take years for the fish to stress to a point of dying of "unknown" reasons. the keeper may never know why the fish dies and just attributes it to diseases.

sometimes i wish prices for fish could be higher so there won't be all these people buying inexpensive fish only to kill them. if a yellow tang costs $200 instead of $30, i think most people would make sure they have the right setup/equipment for the fish.

jamesyoung_31

In Memoriam
Thanks for all the comments but he's only a little guy and swimming around and checking things out. Eating seaweed and mysis shrimp, hopefully pellets soon. I understand what you're saying but I think it's a little foolish none the less. My wife and I discussed things last night and we are going to get a 130 for Xmas. Thanks

Just wanted to mention that RC has been the reason for this upgrade.

Dino

Freak of Nature
Staff member
RC Mod
:( Sigh...

:headwally:

*Dino wishes people would stock for what is appropriate for their current tank. Not for some future tank that in many cases never happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.