Yellow Tang OR One Spot Foxface

Kaiser699a

Hi folks, I'm looking for feedback from more experienced reefers about whether to add a Yellow Tang or One Spot Foxface. I have a 5'x2'x2' 180g tank. I have 10 small fish already and want to add a bigger yellow fish to complete my stocklist. I also have a secondary requirement for the fish to help me control caulerpa growth and I read both these fish are good for that. I keep lots of soft corals and a few LPS so which of these fish is least risk for my corals and mst likely to eat caulerpa for me? Thanks.

I have both, of the two I have, the foxface eats algae better. I've never had caulerpa, but I'd assume the foxface would make short work of it. You could always get both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two yellow tangs, and one foxface...neither one does. I keep them fed well.

I went for a One Spot Foxface. He is in the tank 20 minutes and already picking off the few bits of bubble algae I had. Very pleased with that and he is lovely colour. Hopefully he'll go after the caulerpa too.

The foxface is eating away at the caulerpa now too. Very happy. He shows no interest in the soft corals so far. He is even picking in closely to xenia and zoas to get the caulerpa but not touching any coral. This may not be the permanent behaviour but so far so good.

I used to quarantine and do TTM on every addition to my tank. I also kept the tank fallow for 4 months when first set up. To be honest, I saw my fish extremely stressed by quarantine and I lost several lovely fish in quarantine. I believe those fish were healthy and were all eating well and the stress of quarantine killed them. About 8 months after setting up white spot showed up in my tank anyway. I run a UV all the time on my main tank now. I am in the camp that feeding well and keeping parameters in check is best for my fish. I select and buy healthy fish and no online. If a few white spots show up every now and again I am relaxed about it. My previous Regal Tang used to get a few spots every couple of months.

I have 2x foxface and 1x yellow tang. All three have shown no interest in my soft corals.

Back