yellow tang to tank with Atlantic Blue

With all three coming from different families you have at least a decent chance of success. How long have the Atlantic Tangs been in the tank? My guess would be that if they don't bully other non-Tang fish additions, they will most likely allow you to add a Yellow. If on the other-hand they are aggressive to any new addition it's very unlikely they are going to tolerate another Tang regardless of it's Family.

The Atlantic has been in tang 5+ years and the Kole a bit longer. The Kole bothers nobody but the Atlantic likes to go after my Two Barred Rabbitfish at feeding time and the rest of the time they pretty much swim together. He did cause a Purple tang to starve to death by not letting it get to the lettuce (romaine) and Nori I feed.

As they all come from a different genus it shouldn't be a problem. You might want to move your rockwork around a bit if you add the yellow or use a divider for a few days if you want to play it very safe. If it turns out that the AB is aggressive towards the yellow once you put him in and just won't leave him alone, stick a mirror against the side of your tank and he'll suddenly leave him alone.

I had a Sailfin and a Naso. When I added the Yellow, Mr. Naso turned into psycho killer. I pulled him out and he spent two weeks in the quarantine tank all alone. At the two week mark, I rearranged some of the rock work in the display tank and put the Naso back in. This time the Yellow pushed him around but just enough to say "don't F*&ck with me" That lasted about a day and all 3 have been fine ever since. I should also mention they are about the same size. I would not have added any type of Tang significantly larger or smaller than what is in there already. That would just be a recipe for disaster. You might as well open the fridge and throw the 70 bucks the fish cost in the bottom of the blackworm box. It will last longer and you'll get more or your money.

Back