yellow tang with red streaks

llama72

since the other thread has closed, i wanted to ask another question. My LFS said that my tank had Septicemia. He said I needed to treat with Maracyn two. Since a QT is not an option, can i just add the Maracyn two to the sump?

backej1

Simple answer - no.

Have you tested your water? Get that up to par, feed well and soak food in Selcon and Garlic.

I saved two yellow tangs from a fish store that were in very bad shape - good water and good food goes a long ways.

I've been in the fish hobby for a while and have never treated any fish with any medication.

llama72

i last did a water change (10%) yesterday. That seemed to help some by this morning but now the spots are back.

backej1

I see you have a 75 gallon tank - how big is the tang? Also, is your stocking list under "current tanks" correct?

I didn't see your other thread, but how long have you had this guy? Is he eating? Breathing hard?

llama72

small tang
had for nearly a year
not really breathing hard but a lot of red
is eating well

attached is an image 2 days ago, he seems worse now
100_1866.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1870.jpg
[/IMG]

backej1

Is he out growing your 75 gallon tank? Based on your parameters and stocking, I think he's out growing the tank. I have 3 yellow tangs in a 450 gallon.

When I saved the 2 yellow tangs from the LFS (approx 2 years ago) - I put them in separate 55 gallon tanks. At first things seem fine (one we fixed the other problems caused by the LFS), but then one of them starting getting red streaks. I then purchased two 120 gallon tanks and put one in each (along with some other fish that were growing) - this was my excuse to my husband on why I needed bigger tanks - for the good of the fish (that's also how I got the 450 gallon).

If you've had him for a year and things have been good, I think it's time to upgrade your tank - a 75 is too small for a growing tang (IMO).