yellow yellow!!!

RobNJ

Premium Member
Hey everyone, I am looking for a REEF SAFE fish for my 120g aquarium that is predominantly yellow. I do not want a yellow tang, already have kole and a powder blue.

I was wondering if anyone knows how the lemonpeel dwarf angel does in a reef setting. Any other suggestions on a yellow colored fish would be great!

I have 5 fish currently, 2 tangs and 1 chromis and a set of clowns. Tank looks empty and would like to add another fish.

corals currently include sps and mushrooms and 2 clams

-Rob

Banana wrasses are OK, but can wreak havoc on a reef.

How about a Royal Gramma, or some of those nice tank-raised pseudochromises?

Also, it's not a fish, but cleaner shrimp can offer a splash of yellow- and keep those tangs free of parasites.

Mimic tang is nice, but I don't want another tang, I have read that the yellow coris wrasse can go postal on clams and other bivalves and inverts

my yellow coris is fine with my 3 clams and cleaner shrimp... he does eat occasional snails though. I think he's a really cool fish but I can understand you not wanting to risk it.

How about a yellow watchman gobie?

I second the yellow watchman goby... I've had one for about 2 years now and he does great. Self sufficient... Eats whatever I feed it, but will sift the sand all day long and occasionally eat some hair algae.

I'd go with a watchman goby myself as well...they have cool little personalities. I would stay away from any dwarf angels to me its not worth the risk. I lost a few colonies due to a flame angel so I will never take the plunge again no matter how much I love angels.

Yellow damsels
female squareback anthias
Adult flasher wrasse
pseudochromis yellow w/ purple stripe
canary blenny
foxface Lo

I would definately not try a Lemonpeel.I had one that did well for about 2 months,then turned on my clams & practically every leather coral in the tank.Like Wrenchhead,I had to tear the tank down to remove him.
I do have a yellow Coris.He has been in the tank a while & has never touched anything.I do keep my fish well fed,so not sure if that plays a part-it certainly didn't with the lemonpeel.Good luck with your decision.

Foxface are awesome- so non-aggressive and eat nori from the same clip as the tangs do- so you wouldn't have to feed any differently. I love yellow clown gobies- they are small but so cute and bright. I hear they sometimes sit on sps's and annoy the polyps - I don't have that problem but a friend I know does.

i have a yellow wrasse with theese 2 black spots on him never had any probs with him or her srry 4 being a retard on not knowing his name

Yellow Watchman Goby
Gold Head Sleeper Goby
Yellow Coris Wrasse (I agree, no problem with my clams, and I have a buddy with one that doesnt bother the clams either)
Yellow Damsels
Canary Blenny (although these also present a clam-nipping possibility just like the Coris, and no where near as cool).
Royal Gramma (half yellow)

Or, I would like to add Anthias to the list. A couple of the hardier ones would be a great option. A Sunburst or two, or a Pseudoanthias huchtii trio/quad? Anthias parvirostris?

Also, an often overlooked candidate (due to its more agressive relatives) is the Bodianus bimaculatus or candy hogfish wrasse. It has the attitude of a Gamma, and only gets about 3" long. Its reef safe, unlike most hogfish, and only risky with smaller cleaner shrimp. I have one in a 60g with two skunk cleaners though... no problems.

Pseudochromis diadema?

Yello Citron Goby?

The yellow "coris" wrasse frequently mentioned is not a Coris sp. ,it is a Halichoeres sp. and as a rule does not get as large nor is as aggressive. I've had many wrasses from that genus and there is some risk with small crustaceans (they may eat them.)

Back