yet another "is this a good RO/DI"

heyfredyourhat

Premium Member
Well i am on the hunt for ro/di. I have heard many good things about spectrapure, but the place i like to deal with has kent marine?? But i dont really care where it comes from i guess, as long as i get it.

Any recomendations? Money is not an issue.

My last two RO inuts came from Filter direct on Ebay. Some people hate them, some people love them. I have been happy with mine and it cost a whole lot less than some most other alternatives.

Spectrapure is the best by far. FD would be at the bottom of my list if on it at all. Mediocre quality and very deceptive sales claims.

I noticed that spectrapure was cheaper than the kent marine...or maybe i am mistaken. Are the majority of them just plug and play?

Most RO or RO/DI units are very easy to install either permanently or using temporary connections. It should take no more than an hour in most cases and usually less.

I have checked marine depot, but they want 135 bucks for shipping! I have also checked spectrapure, but there prices are a little bit steeper than marinedepot.com.

I've recently purchased my first ro/di unit, max cap 90gpd, from spectrapure, and couldn't be happier with their customer support, and quaility. I look forward to keep seeing my water parameters improving now with each water change.

I am in the same boat as you. Spoke to Jim at the Filter Guys last night. And, I tell you what i am definetly purchasing a unit from them in the next week or so. very knowledgable, answered all my questions and then some. Overall, good people and great company that seems to really support their product!!!

Filter Guys builds a good unit but its no match for a MaxCap, in fact nothing available on the market today is. Nobody hand tests and guarantees membranes to be 98+% efficient or hand packs proprietary blends of DI resin for peak efficiency like Spectrapure. The combination of those plus the absolute rated prefilters and chlorine guzzler carbons cannot be matched much less beat. I am over 615 gallons on my very first DI cartridge and still with a 0 TDS with a tap water TDS of 850 to 902. Thats unheard of with any other unit.

yoy maybe right AZ but the difference in price is almost double Ocen reef from filter guys $199 max cap $349. I agree you get what you pay for. Unless you are making tons of water I dont see the value in the one you are talking about. Zero TDS is Zero TDS now matter what way you slice it.

0 TDS is not 0 TDS . Read Spectrapures sponsors forum, its very informative.
You will also save more than the difference in initial cost in a very short time due to the extended life of the membrane and DI resin. With my old Typhoon configuration I would be on my 5th DI cartridge now at 150 gallons maximum per cartridge, I'm still on the first one. Add up the cost of all those replacements. I have kept detailed logbooks with every piece of information since day one and I can tell you for a fact, its cheaper to operate and gives you much better quality water. I have proven this with a lab quality benchtop Thornton conductivity/resistivity meter and flow meters. They jsut don't compare.
The best way to buy it is get in on a group buy so you save moneyon the initial purchase like I did. Talk to Randy Holmes Farley on the quality and longevity, his Spectrapure membrane lasted almost 10 years before replacement! Thats a testimonial to the quality of absolute prefilters, good carbons and hand tested RO membranes.

Back