yet another pink tip anemone question...

Cphelpsss

:debi:
hey. just a quick (hopefully) question about a hatian I have in my tank. I know it has legs..he likes to move around... a lot. which can be normal for a new anemone. that's all fine and great... but when he does move, he always seems to end up under all of my rocks in shady areas, usually unlatched from any surface and his tentacles are fully deflated and drawn in. (if I was uneducated about anemones, I would've flushed it with the way it looked.) he hasn't stayed in a single spot for more than 24hrs. I know its not dead because the body is still stiff as it should, and the tentacles will still be fairly sticky and will latch to my hand and I end up fishing him out from the shade, and try to place him in a moderately flowing, and bright area towards the front. he will stay there for a good day or so, get fully expanded, nice full extended tentacles, swaying in the current. and then a day or so later he will be on the move again towards the back. same thing. deflated and unsecure. it has been goin on for a week or so. I feed him every 3 days or so, one small piece of krill, which when hes fully extended readily accepts and devours.. it almost seems like his digestion/excretion process is when he goes deflated and wont recover on his own from it.

so my question is this.....
is this normal behavior for a pink tip? to be this temperamental?
for me to have to fish him to safety almost every day?
its a 90g tank, drilled, dual flow returns going in each direction, then a pretty large powerhead that reaches all the way across the tank. coralife superskimmer in sump doing a wonderful job at keeping things clean, canister filter packed with carbon, sg is around 1.023-25. ph is 8.2. no ammonia or nitrates. and a 165 watt mars aqua led light running at 100%. I don't think my parameters are an issue with it...

and I know its not a hosting anemone. I do have a pair of clowns in the tank, but I didn't get the anemone for hosting purposes.. I like how they look when fully extended, and the movement, to me, is nice. but when hes all deflated and hidden, he looks like a blob fish with tentacles. lol

also, im aware butterfly (certain ones) eat/nip at anemones. would a b/w heniochus be a safe assumption that he will most likely agitate the 'nem? or do you think I will be safe to add one. ive always liked them, and Id love to get one, but its not worth risking the nem's life/the problems that may come with it ends up dying.

Stop moving it. It moved out of the area for a reason. It did not like where it was and is trying to find a location it likes. Might be trying to get used to the light or the flow.

im aware that it will find a location where it likes. and im ok with that, but when its not anchored down anywhere and cant move at all because its lying upside down in the sand behind the rockwork... should I really just let it sit there and risk it dying?

It may be sick. If it's not attaching then it may also not be happy with your tank setup anything from flow to lighting and or chemistry. I have not kept this type of nem before so your MMV.

im aware that it will find a location where it likes. and im ok with that, but when its not anchored down anywhere and cant move at all because its lying upside down in the sand behind the rockwork... should I really just let it sit there and risk it dying?

If it actually detached and floated then it really didn't like it there. I would find an acclimation box or something you can put the nem in with some rocks, out of strong flow and someway it won't float up and out. Some use a mesh basket and magnets to attach it to the side of the tank. If you have a low flow area of the tank, put it there, maybe rubberband a mesh on top of the basket/box so it won't float off but make sure it still gets light.

Unless, it is very sick. But you said it is sticky and ate. Is the mouth open? Pictures would probably help.

the mouth didn't seem like it was open. when hes completely deflated, the mouth still doesn't appear to be open either. yesterday it was in the rockwork, opened up, then it ended up shrinking back down again, then it moved toward the back wall under the rocks..minimal light, minimal flow. and was opened up... when I looked this morning, it was out of sight, I think I saw it deflated and kind of laying in the sand under a rock in one of the goby's sand tunnels under a rock... I wasn't able to fish him out since I had to leave for work... if hes not back out by the time I get home from work, then ill have to pull him out of there somehow without disturbing all of my rockwork. if I can post pics from my phone on the site, ill try to. my wife has sent me a few over the past few days of it...

I have a Condy that when I first got him did a lot of this stuff. He scared the stuff out of me. I left him alone, and just kept the water levels good, and lighting good, and let him be. Don't feed it until its found "home" (same place for a day or two) is what I did. He finally found a place that he has been happy in for the last couple of months or so and hasn't moved an inch since.

Just my opinion that I have developed in my short amount of time and experience in the hobby.

Back