YiKES! Creepy hitchiker! ID?

jbird69

I saw this odd nudi coasting across my LR tonight. I didnt know what it was so I wanted to get it into my fuge while I could get it. Unfortunately the poor lil fella discintigrated when I grabbed him. :(
Anyone know what he was? It was about 3/4" long.

DSC09856.jpg

Thats a great picture of a potentialy dangerous nudibranch, looks similar to some pics of zoa eating nudis Ive seen. Caution is advised...

hmmmmm. I'll keep my eyes peeled for more. I do have quite a few zoas and havent noticed them being irritated by anything. This one is definitly a gonner. Once I realized he was falling apart between my fingers, I gave him a thurough smashing (sorry PETA)

Definitely looks like a Zoanthid eating Nudi. Look for more, or for eggs, in and amongst all of your Zoanthid colonies. I would suggest starting with the colonies that are a similar color to the Zoanthid. As these Nudis eat Zoanthids, they take on the color of the Zoanthid colony they're destroying.

This is the first "undesirable" I have seen in my tank. I am a bit paranoid now. I was lucky to have spotted this thing as it was camo'd quite well. Now I think I know what to look for. Any idea of what a clutch of eggs would look like?

Back