Yikes! Tank cracked!

iriejp1

So Im heading down the stairs just as someone is coming over to the house...I look over casually and..."WHY IS THERE WATER ON MY FLOOR??"

I run over...check the sump...its not overflowing. Check the ATO...its good. "WAIT...WHY IS THERE WATER ON MY FLOOR?" Then it hit me...my TANK is leaking.

Yep. Sure is. In fact...its leaking all the way across. ***?!? Cracked all the way across from the top of one overflow to the bottom right corner of the tank. Top to bottom. :eek2::eek2:

This is gonna be fun! Lol. :headwally:

Man...what a mess. I still am stunned as to how this thick of glass could just crack like that. Especially with nothing changing for years.

I've got most of the corals in bins with the fish still in the tank for now. The leaking seems to have slowed to a drip after I drained it most of the way down. Probably get the rest of it out sometime today.

I've got a new tank ordered and should be delivering on Friday around 8pm (I had to fight for that as they said they normally only deliver when I'm at work! ARGH!). If anyone is available it would be great just to get some help lifting the old one off and into my van so the new one can be put in. The guys delivering said they will put it on the stand for me. When asked how many guys they are bringing they said two (I giggled). It took 4 to put the old one in. So we'll see. Might even need to help the deliverers I'm guessing.

210? that's a lot of water... people don't realize how much a gallon of water is until it's on the floor and you have to mop it up. I hope all works out for you. What did you order for a replacement?

Yep...luckily we caught it pretty early so we were able to save almost everything. Couldve been much worse I think.

Oh and same thing...210.

Man...what a mess. I still am stunned as to how this thick of glass could just crack like that. Especially with nothing changing for years.

I've got most of the corals in bins with the fish still in the tank for now. The leaking seems to have slowed to a drip after I drained it most of the way down. Probably get the rest of it out sometime today.

I've got a new tank ordered and should be delivering on Friday around 8pm (I had to fight for that as they said they normally only deliver when I'm at work! ARGH!). If anyone is available it would be great just to get some help lifting the old one off and into my van so the new one can be put in. The guys delivering said they will put it on the stand for me. When asked how many guys they are bringing they said two (I giggled). It took 4 to put the old one in. So we'll see. Might even need to help the deliverers I'm guessing.

Hey Joel -

Glad you were able to find a replacement in the nick of time. Why do you think it cracked? Was the 210 a rimless, or maybe it started cracking at the seams, and it just finally gave out after years and years of stress?

Art

Are you absolutely sure your floor and or stand were level? Was there any type of flexing in the floor as you walk around in the house? That, over time, can put a lot of stress in the glass when you mix the amount of pressure 210 gallons of saltwater provides. I think I remember that you did some reinforcing under your house originally but if I remember, you're are in manufactured home? I would maybe have another look underneath before you get the new tank filled up. Not saying that's it, but it's possible.

Are you absolutely sure your floor and or stand were level? Was there any type of flexing in the floor as you walk around in the house? That, over time, can put a lot of stress in the glass when you mix the amount of pressure 210 gallons of saltwater provides. I think I remember that you did some reinforcing under your house originally but if I remember, you're are in manufactured home? I would maybe have another look underneath before you get the new tank filled up. Not saying that's it, but it's possible.

+1
I was thinking the same thing at work today buddy Ginger must of been reading my mind lol (There is much better things to read).
If you want help checking out your foundation let me know.
I did Manufactured homes for over 20 year's and you do have to re level them from time to time do to the ground shifting.
I sold a lot of the earth quake bracing and even they needed re leveling over time.
Give me a ring Joel if you need anything :beer:

+2

Righty-O

Worth looking into.....

+1 was thinking same thing. Ground or house shift? Settling? Is it on a slab? If not double check and make sure level and supported.

:furious:That really sucks, Joel. Although I must say, if it had to happen, it was great you caught it early and are saving everything from further damage and trouble.

Good luck,

Neil

JP's house is built on a slab foundation. Tank sits on a tiled floor that is installed directly onto the slab. i'm nervous because I got the same tank, sitting on the same type of floor conditions and I believe the my tank was originally purchase aprox. 1yr before JP's

Back