You Picked a Fine Time to Leave Me, You Snail!

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
I'm down with the crud, can't breathe, am lucky to be able to walk, and the biggest honking Turbo Snail I own has decided to buy the farm right in the middle of the 'cave' at the back of my wedge tank for no good reason: water params are bang-on for sps coral---or were, before he kicked the bucket. I've tried blowing him over where I can reach him, tried nudging him over, and he's stuck fast, reeking with slime, and this is the point where I'm *really* glad I have four nearly foot-long bristleworms. I'm thinking of turning the lights out to get them to work. A few of the corals are sucking it up and looking delighted; some are looking less happy. I'm running carbon to minimize any resultant ammonia, but my brain is fried with antibiotics and I hope I've thought of everything I ought to do.
Timing. Timing. Timing. He couldn't have done this in a few days when I feel more like coping with the mess he'll create in the tank. And while everybody else complains about their worms being suspiciously early to supper, I wish mine, and the half dozen Nassarius snails I've been nurturing against such a day, would get their little tails in gear.

Good luck on getting the snail out. I am pretty bummed about this hobby right now too - ick. I am at the point where I don't even want to look at my tank lately and it used to bring me so much joy. All of this has come about when I am not feeling top notch either. If it makes you feel any better, I wish I had your problem instead of mine. I bet the bristleworms will have a good meal!!! ;)

St. Murphy couldn't of said it any better!!

Sorry to hear you guys aren't up to par. Running carbon and a wc will definately help. I would help you both if I was closer.

At least you dont have Dinoflagelletes! 10x worse then a dying Turbo.

Im thinking your nitrosomus bacteria will take care of this spike. You could always get some bio spira to ease the temporary spike from the decay.

Agggh. Well, at least I don't feel comparatively so bad off. I can't believe the thing is in the 1/10th of the tank I absolutely can't reach by hook or by crook. Good suggestions, all. I'll keep an eagle eye on the params. This is the first thing that's died in my tank, and it's just frustrating. I don't think it's a general condition: the other humongous turbo is just fine, ditto the rest of the snails. I think this one just must have reached his statistical limit, or something.
Sympathies and commiserations to all you guys.

Well, just an update. The snail, meatwise, was about the size of a jumbo shrimp.
Last night I got the flashlight out, and it was well-attended by my larger bristleworms, Barney, Fred, Sam, and Harry, plus offspring.
This morning, to my great relief, we have naught but a polished shell.
I hoped my 6-month-old tank was up to it...and it apparently is. The skimmer is going like mad, but I have no nitrate spike.

If only the rest of you guys' problems could vanish overnight as well.

I never have a problem with dead turbos. They seem to be cleaned out overnight. The crabs, shrimp and others do a quick job of it.

Back