You Reef

lanxang

Does anyone know if they use copper in their saltwater fish tank. Bought a fish today and was temp acclimating the fish. Somehow a hole developed in the bag so half of the water was mixed with my tank water.

Just want to be safe. Please let me know.

thanks for your time.

thanks guys. I do run carbon.

John's shop is always one of my destination when I head to sac. I have no doubt that his stuff is great. Just wanted to make sure as some place add copper to their fish only tank to help with the parasite and such.

they run their f.o. systems separately from their coral systems so I'd assume they use some sort of medication and I've been told to not mix the fish water with my own system during acclimation.

it was late last night so I didn't get a chance to call. Well I'll just wait to see how everything turns outs. The only person I'm blaming is myself, the bag was fine before putting into my tank. The bag might have touch my light and burnt a hole.

Hey Jeff, I'm liking the new tank.

i'm pretty sure your safe, your reef is one of the best stores around.

Hunh? I know your a nice guy and Im sure it wasnt your intention, but this was very irresponsible advice.
Your Reef is a great store, but, one does not have anything to do with the other.

-Justin

Most stores do highly medicate their fish-only side to decrease fish loss. I'd be doing big water changes.

I would't say "most" but the good ones do use Copper. I have seen too many fish with Ich to say "most stores" ;)

The best way to acclimate is a drip line. I don't float bags anymore as there is no telling what might get into your tank if a hole get's poked in the bag. I keep the bucket witht he fish in the stand so the temp stays warm as well.

I would't say "most" but the good ones do use Copper. I have seen too many fish with Ich to say "most stores" ;)

The best way to acclimate is a drip line. I don't float bags anymore as there is no telling what might get into your tank if a hole get's poked in the bag. I keep the bucket witht he fish in the stand so the temp stays warm as well.

Hard for a LFS to keep a large volume of fish constantly comming in with out running copper IMHO.
As for drip line aclimating I feel it's the best way for the reason's Rob mentioned also a small bag of water changes temp to fast and also most importantly it let's the fish adjust to the ph level in your system.
I drip up to an hour for like Tang's which sometimes get stressed very easy when I put them in my system they have full color and look great

Sorry to hear about that Lak. How are your corals doing? Have you contacted John to get an answer regarding the copper?

FWIW, I also drip acclimate. I've discussed the issue at length with some of the gurus in the fish forum and concluded that a method which increases the original water volume by 4-5x over the course of 2-3 hours is a pretty safe bet. I found a plastic play strainer for kids (the kind you strain pasta in, but smaller) and it works great for safely removing fish from the acclimation bucket and into the tank without transferring any significant amount of water.

I doubt you could get enough in your tank from a leak to do any damage as long as you run carbon I think your ok and of course keep up on water changes.
I was buying some Amino Acid's one day the LFS was out of Warner Marine the brand I use so I was looking at another brand and almost bought it then I saw it had copper in it so I didn't.
Later on I was told there aint enough in it to hurt your coral's.
Another unknown topic in our hobby but I would rather be safe than sorry

Back