Your Feb Plumbing 101 article

pnosko

Jon, I remember asking you about PVC beveling, but can't find the posts. You suggested it had a purpose, but after trying to find a decent tool (HD has one made my Rigid that is adequate for internal edges but pitiful for external edges) for weeks locally and on the web (including every one of your sources), I'm about convinced that this practice is a "textbook" thing never used in the "real world."

I posted in the DIY forum, begging nicely for sources for these tools to no avail. Could you at least tell me the brand names of the 3 tools (figures 1 and 2 would do) pictured in your article?

Figures 1 & 2 are carried by www.usplastic.com #1 is $54.42 and #2 is $35.45 Well as far a real world I knew that it was good parctice years before I wrote this article and I don't make a joint that isn't beveled. My tool is far better inside than outside. I bevel large pipes on my belt sander. :)

Thanks for the reply. Tool #1 starts with 1.25" pipe (too big for my tank needs). Can't find #2 though searching on "bevel". You wouldn't have a link, would ya?

If you ever plan update this article, I don't know if you took these pics yourself, but a reference object (a quarter coin?) would be helpful.

Well, I just finished adding an Ocean Clear filter onto my 110g FW tank. The wet/dry foam blocks just don't cut the mustard for removing suspended matter. I absolutely love those double union ball valves from Savko. I used three of 'em. Sump -> valve -> pump -> valve -> ocean clear -> valve -> return. Maintenance will be a snap now. I also got to use that "rocket cone" deburring tool from Reed (same one in your article). It ain't much use on the outside edge either (slightly better than the Rigid plastic "barrel"). But it does a nice clean job on the inside edge.

I'm exhasted. Everything's running and no leaks. :) Cleanup can wait until tomorrow. :sleep:

Back