Your input please!!!!! Thanks!!!

WHICH LIGHT FIXTURE BEST FOR MIXED REEF WITH LPS AND SPS...

Note: My reef is 66 x 28 x 20 high 160 g

Choice is a 60 inch Sunpower by ATI with 6 x 80watt bulbs but is NOT dimmable.... ORRRRRRR
48 INCH Sunpower by ATI with 8 x 54 watt bulbs and it is dimmable!

so question is...
do I want a shorter dimmable less wattage per bulb x 8
or
longer not dimmable higher wattage per bulb? x 6 ?

Decisions man! I' am telling ya nothing is easy! lolol

Thanks for your input guys and gals please state your opinion along with whyyyyyy.

Cheers,

Last edited:
8X54 IMO
just because of the front to back dimensions of your tank..
I also prefer dimmable.

have you used the dimmable?

have you used the dimmable?

Have you used the dimmable? I have heard there are ballast problems and headaches? Please the dimmable is only 48 inch long my tank is 66 inch long..would I get away with it by raising the fixture? Will there be shadowing on the ends? How high would you hang the 48inch to make up the 9 inches of unlit ends?

Pls advise/confirm,

Thanks

Have you used the dimmable? I have heard there are ballast problems and headaches? Please the dimmable is only 48 inch long my tank is 66 inch long..would I get away with it by raising the fixture? Will there be shadowing on the ends? How high would you hang the 48inch to make up the 9 inches of unlit ends?

Pls advise/confirm,

Thanks
Yes I have the ATI dimmable and never had problems with the ballast..

A 48" fixture is more than sufficient for a 66" tank (I had the 6x 24" fixture on a 48"L tank).. You typically don't have corals all the way to the side glass or front/rear glass anyways..Its only 9" on each side = not an issue at all..

I would mount the fixture 8-10" above the water..

Do you think an 8 x 80 watt T5 ATI fixture is too much light over
top of a 6 ft x 28 deep x only 20" high tank? 160 gallon

??? Please advise, thanks

I don't think it's too much light considering your tank dimensions. In fact I think it'd be perfect if that option were available to you. Remember, you always have the option of hanging the fixture higher.

You'll get a lot of light spill over the sides. If you have a couch next to the tank, you might have to wear sunblock. :)

Back