Your Most Valued Peice of Reefing Equipment?

Reefpilot11

So I figure we all have that one item that makes our lives a whole lot easier when it comes to our systems. I guess since I don't have an apex or doser it would have to be my ATO. I couldn't imagine having to manually keep up with evaporation. How about all of you guys??

My return pump because i run so many Ts to feed water for my reactor, water change, additional frag tank...

Last edited:
Oh my, that's a tough one! ATO is on top of list as well as Skimmer overflow protection. I think back over the past 30 years and I have always had a home made skimmer overflow protection as well as a home made ATO. But that would put both of these into the controller realm :). I must admit the controllers have made life easier since they integrate "everything" so I would have to say a controller. I have used Apex, RKE, Reef Angel, and waiting for my Archon. A fully integrated controller makes our life way easier. Todays controllers can control dosing, CaRx, float switches, web cams, web user interface, wave makers, ATO, Lighting, graphing/logging, heater, pH, ... you name it, with open source controllers, you can monitor and control.

Not going to get into which one is best as I have had a few and I liked them all :).

My vote ..... Controller :)

This is easy. Magnet cleaner. I don't think I would have a tank if I had to manually clean my glass by hand every week.

For me is the ATO. Hands down. I also have an RKL controller, but before the controller, I was doing OK with timers. However, before my ATO, I was not happy with handling evaporation manually.

Last edited:
After thinking about this I would have change mine to Reefer Friends and FAOIS. With out them I don't think I would have stayed in, or even upgraded to a 180.

ATO b/c it keeps salinity stable

ATO b/c it keeps salinity stable

I agree--without fellow reef friends I prob. wouldn't still be in the hobby.

THANK GOD FOR CONTROLLERS!!! Peace of mind IMO, to get live feedback via your iphone (priceless) LOL..

How could you sleep at night without one?

Back